1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable help for a newbie

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by karlos 10, May 26, 2004.

1. karlos 10

karlos 10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am getting a Thompson 32wb643 tv, a jvcxv-na77 dvd player and have sky+. I am not bothering with any other equipment at this stage.

I want to connect my dvd to component video leads and sky+ to RGB scart. I am confused by what cables I need to get audio from the dvd. Also, with the scart do I get a video only + audio or a 21 pin scart that has audio.

Also, do I need any other cables, eg. power and would they make any difference to my basic set up.

I apologise for the very basic level of these questions but I am very new to this and trying to learn.

Thanks all

Karl

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't worry about the questions, they're by no means basic :smashin:

Assuming your TV has component inputs, it should have accompanying audio inputs which you can connect to your DVD player for sound.

Although a Video/Audio only scart cable will probably work I'd recommend getting a fully wired (21pin) scart lead. I don't know your budget but the Philex Thor Scart lead mentioned in our Special Offers forum here is very good value.

Hope this helps :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In case you want a second opinion, I agree with eviljohn2

4. karlos 10

karlos 10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for that, will have a look at that scart. Will the audio cables that come with the dvd player be okay or should they be upgraded. Do I need analogue or digital audio cables, my tv has virtual dolby surrond.

Cheers

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There aren't normally any cables supplied with a DVD player but if by chance there are some supplied with a JVC I would keep them as spares and buy something a little more expensive but without going mad. The audio connection from the DVD player to the TV will be analogue and something from the Profigold could well be suitable.

There are some here that may fit the bill

6. karlos 10

karlos 10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for all your help Ian, much appreciated. Starting to get my head around the basics of setting up now. One quick question, I presume the scarts mentioned (thor/profigold) are RGB capable.

Does any scart (if fully pinned) transmit RGB if put into the relevant RGB socket?

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Fully wired scarts will indeed carry your RGB signal.

The audio/video only ones that you mentioned will probably only carry RGB and stereo audio signals whilst the fully-wired one is much more flexible in terms of options.

8. karlos 10

karlos 10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that eviljohn2, I only need 0.5m of lead and the Thors only seem to start at 1.5m. Considering qed av21 or p21, any other suggestions?

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    My advice with scart leads (and virtually all interconnects) is go for ones that look well made to your eyes. Things to look for are a decent thickness of cable and some well built terminations at the end.