1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Hell, what goes where!!!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by PaulHaggerty, Jan 7, 2005.

1. PaulHaggerty

PaulHaggerty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help,

I'm a bit of a new boy to the av set up. I have just bought a Denon A11 DVD, Denon 3805 amp and a Pioneer PDP435 FDE (in for a penny, in for a pound)

I have Sky+ and an xbox all of which I want to connect to give the best results, how should I go about it.

Please be gentle with me I need it explaining blow by blow.

:rolleyes:

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    You have a choice really, you can either use your amp for all video switching, or connect your sources directly to the plasma.

The A11 should be connected using component to get the best out of it, whilst the sky+ box gives best results from an RGB scart connection. If you wish to run both through the amp (the 3805 has 3 component inputs, so this can be done) you will need to buy an RGB to component convertor (the JS Tech model is highly recommended but is around £120), which is just a box that goes in line between the two units.

You do not say how you are connecting your x-box, do you use scart, or do you have the component pack?

If you wish to use component, you may have to route both the x-box and your A11 through the amp, as I beleive the FDE only has one component input (AV2) although it does have 2 RGB capable scarts (AV1 & AV3), so connecting both sky+ and the x-box using RGB wouldn't be a problem, and it would give you sound through the plasma without having the amp powered up, assuming you have the optional speakers.

All audio can be routed directly to your 3805 using an optical or co-axial connection no matter how you choose to connect the video side.

Personally I would probably do the following for now, as it cuts a step out of the chain, and saves the cost of the converter and the extra cabling.

Video
    A11 > Plasma AV2
    X-Box > Plasma AV1
    Sky+ > Plasma AV3

Audio
    A11 > 3805 Digital Co-Ax
    X-Box > 3805 Digital Optical
    Sky+ > 3805 Digital Optical

You could always route everything through the amp at a later date if you wished to. A plus to taking this option would is that you would be able to connect any more equipment up using the S-Video and composite inputs, then send them all to the plasma using the upconversion inside the amp, so that you would only need one video connection between the amp and the screen.

This would give you,

Video
    A11 > 3805 Component
    X-Box > 3805 Component
    Sky+ > 3805 Component (Via RGB - component converter)
    3805 > FDE Component

Audio
    A11 > 3805 Digital Co-Ax
    X-Box > 3805 Digital Optical
    Sky+ > 3805 Digital Optical

Hopefully this makes sense. :rolleyes: