cable format preference

Glenn Uk

Dear All

sorry for the basic question, i want to connect a Virgin Media STB to my DVB-S card in my HTPC.

Choices are scart - s-video or scart to Composite (with the scart from the VM STB).

i thought there was a sticky around somewhere which ranked connections in preference order along the lines of HDMI, COmponent.....etc but I'm not sure which way round s-video and composite should go.

cheers for any pointers and apologies once again.

Last edited:

davepuma

Distinguished Member
S-video is better than composite. Check that the box can output S-video over SCART before buying and remember these cables are directional so it has to be that way around.

In order of quality (IMO)

1. HDMI/DVI
2. Component Video (YpBpR)
3. RGB (SCART)
4. S-Video
5. Composite Video (CVBS)

Glenn Uk

Dave

Thanks for that, Never realised that they were directional nor that the conversions might not be straightforward.

Ill see what i can find out, not sure how to find out if the STB will output scart to either s-video of composite, ill ask in the vm forum see if anyone there knows.

Glenn

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Hi

The VM boxes cannot output S-Video.

The best way to do this would be with an active RGB > S-Video converter otherwise you are stuck with composite.

Steve

Glenn Uk

Hi

The VM boxes cannot output S-Video.

The best way to do this would be with an active RGB > S-Video converter otherwise you are stuck with composite.

Steve

Thanks Steve

ill bear that in mind

Glenn Uk

Well having done the usual google/ebay/maplins seems the cheapest i can get a rgb-s video converter is around £40.

How to convert RGB to S-video

Anyone ever used one of these?

Glenn

Glenn Uk

Hi Joe

thanks for your feedback, when you say best can i ask how you determine that device to be better than the one i linked to?

thanks for any information

Glenn

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Its the cleanest RGB2SVideo converter we've tried - we've tried lots over the years.

Dr John (AVForums handle symanski) who designs and manufacturers his range of converters in Ayrshire is very aware of picture and sound quality issues.

Keep in mind too that with John's unit you retain RGB to your TV whilst getting S-Video to the recorder.

Joe

Glenn Uk

Hi Joe

thanks for that info, I was curious to understand what the issues were, in truth the converted i get will only be used for a relatively short time period and then sold on ebay.

wont bore you with the details beyond that and is to be used for backing up a lod of tvs programmes so i would prefer the itme to be of reasonable quality but its not like i willbe watching it long term.

Anyway thank you for the comments/info much appreicated.

Glenn

Glenn Uk

Cheers for the info i now have the device on my desk, all i need now is the s-video to s-video cable and im sorted.

cheers for the help.

Glenn

Glenn Uk

just a quick note

its connected up and is now feeding my Compro Videomate s350 card and working fine both sound and vision.

i have recorded a shot piece and on the pc is looks fine.

Not sure what it will be like on the plasma in the living room but ill report back.

Glenn

Last edited:

Glenn Uk

just a quick note

its connected up and is now feeding my Compro Videomate s350 card and working fine both sound and vision.

i have recorded a shot piece and on the pc is looks fine.

Not sure what it will be like on the plasma in the living room but ill report back.

Glenn

Glenn Uk

Well i have just played a mpg2 recorded using the RGB-Svideo converter via a compro videomate s350 tuner card with the original material being an sd broadcast from a standard VM box.

I guess i am not a techie kind of persons but to me and my wife the images were not dissimilar to what we would have seen direct from the V box direct via rgb scart.

We are watching in a samsung 50" plasma.

Good advice product works well and does the job.

Thanks all

Glenn

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom