1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable for sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Hinch, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Hinch

Hinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope someone can help with these questions:

1 Do I have to use a dedicated sub-woofer cable? Both my reciever and sub (Elac 2) have RCA fittings. Does this mean a special sub cable or maybe just a normal 6 meter interconnect.

Oh and my monies running out like no tomorrow. Under-estimated cost the of speaker cable. Lol

2 My receiver has only one sub pre-out as mentioned above but the sub has 2 inputs a left (white) and a right (red) hmmmm.... which does the receiver connect to. My dealer said the whit or left one. Onkyo say the right one and the speaker manufacturer say buy a 2 into 1 adaptor to so that the cable connects to both sub inputs.

Phew this home cinema stuff isnt so easy after all.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ian

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any cable with a phono at each end will do. Hifibitz, the forum sponsor in the top right hand corner sell an Ixos subwoofer cable at £10 for 3 mtrs of £15 for 5 mtrs whaich are good prices.

One cable will do and a splitter is not necessary or always adviseable.

Of the three different options that you have mentioned I would be inclined to trust the speaker manufacturer and he is effectively saying either socket.

3. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    A normal phono is fine, the better quality ones tend to suffer less from picking up mains hum and the like in my experience.

A single phono to phono is fine. The advantage of a 1 to 2 phono is that it tends to stop the sub switching off into standbye mode if the LFE channel activity drops.

spence

4. Hinch

Hinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot for the advice that has helped me.
    Ian