1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable for rear speakers.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by madcyril, Feb 3, 2005.

1. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have bought the AE evo 5.1 set up and I wondering what speaker cable to use.I,ve got some 2.5mm cable from my hifi but I need 20m for the rear speakers which could be costly.Any ideas.A mate reckons using twin and earth cable give good results and would be pretty cheap.Has anyone tried this or is he having me on.

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It works fine for speakers but it's bloody ugly and pretty unwieldy. My fronts are wired with T&E, the rears are wired with copper multi-strand JVC cable from dixons - think it was a £15 for 10 metres...might be £10 per metre, can't remember.

You don't have to worry about cable quality so much with rears. I do plan on upgrading the front cable but T&E works fine to start with.

Do a search here for twin and earth or T&E and you'll get loads of info.

3. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Cheers bob,I'll do a search but it seems odd that I spend £700 on speakers then use £5 cable from B&Q.

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Twin and earth's not going to be hifi nirvana, but it sounds fine, no worse than many budget cables. I'm treating it as a stopgap until I fit cat5 cable, which according to people far more discerning than I won't be beaten till you spend significantly more money.

Give it a try - it works and won't damage your speakers, it's copper wire, like almost all other speaker cable...there's an awful lot of hifi mythology about cables - don't believe the hype!

5. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry guys, I'm fairly new to this HT game, so if this is a silly question then I'm already bending down for the Arse kicking!!

What is this CAT 5 cable that everyone is talking about - is it what I use on my network on my computers??

6. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I,m off to B&Q,whats a fiver if only to hear the results.

7. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caleb, the search button is your friend! Try searching for "cat5" and all will become clear...sorry for the search police-style answer :)

It's braided cat5 computer network cable - 2 or 3 lengths of cable per speaker, sound quality is apparently very good. Check out the detailed instructions if you're interested - this is not detailed enough to do it!

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Ive just changed my QED silver anni to cat 6 cables and (just running them in now) i dont notice any degrade in my sound with my evo's.

I use this stuff to wire my surrounds
    http://ws2.richersounds.com/showpro...YPERLITZ&SID=48c061b02a61891a3d67b29c7f686693

Cat 5 is more flexable than cat 6. All you need to do is cut 3 lenths or 6 if biwiring then braid the 3 together llike girls do to there hair. If using 6 then twist 3 sets of 2 together then braid them together. Uae all the same colour cable together for connections. Loads of instructions and diagrams for setting up. Just remember to use the solid cable type. :lesson: