1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable for Mission m7SD rears.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Can anyone suggest appropriate cable I should be using to connect my Mission M7DS surround speakers to my Denon 2802 amp, and how much is it per meter? I will need about 7 metres per speaker. Is 79-strand recommended or can something less be used without noticing any difference?

2. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    If you have to run it under the carpet i would recommend Ixos 607 because it is only 1.5mm high.It is 192 strand(i would not go as low as 79)and has a self adhesive strip down one side.The full price is £1.99/m but you should be able to get it for £1.79 or less.

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using QED micro for my m7ds speakers, and QED silver for the mains. The micro is 1.20 a metre from www.hifijunkies.co.uk . It's pretty discrete, but better than .79 strand. You don't need anything much fatter than this, as surround channels don't get much bass delivered to them. These surrounds only go down to 70Hz or something anyway.

Graham

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I use Ixos 607 for my rears (same as yours) and am very happy with it having upgraded from a cheaper but fatter no name cable.

It is easy to go overboard on cable but bearing in mind the cost of the speakers themselves it seems to be silly to buy expensive cables for what are budget speakers and to my mind the ratio of cable / speaker in terms of cost is about right here.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May have been true with Dolby Pro Logic but not with Dolby Digital/DTS etc, all channels are full range so you can expect full range F/X from the rears aswell as from the fronts.
    Ideally you should choose the same cable for all speakers.

For instance, you have all speakers set to small/large, all channels recieve the same frequencies.
    When set to small cut off is about 80hz, set to large full range is sent.
    So why choose a £5/m cable for the fronts and £1/m for the rears when all channels are recieving the same frequencies.

When fronts set to large and rears set to small can i see different speaker cable being used, but i personally would still use the same all round. You find that speakers of the same brand/range use the same drivers/tweeters and cabinet design through out that range so they are timbre matched, using different/cheaper cables for different channels could give poor results.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Bob,

Whilst your theory is probably sound I think that it would need an exceptional pair of ears to spot the difference.

The hang ups over cables are handed down from the hifi world where in reasonably priced and upwards gear it may make a large difference in two channel mode but I think that these myths are perpetuated by cable manufacturers who see the opportunity to sell ovet twice as much cable to an AV entusiast.

The sound characteristics of AV are completely different from stereo music and when you take into account the relatively limited amount of information that is sent to the rear speakers I think that most people will be wasting money spending more than £1.99 on rear cabling for speakers that cost £100

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I for one didn't fancy paying 100 quid for surround speaker cable, when the surrounds only cost double that ;)

Graham

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I agree with you Graham. I have Cable Talk 3.1 on my front speakesr which is not only different to the rear speaker cables but I also don't have speakers from the same family either.

I have the ubiquitous Missions at the rear and Definitive Technology Pro Cinem series at the front with a REL subwoofer which is a real mix 'n match system.

Ideally one should have the same family of speakers all round for voice matching but I don't think that it matters too much on rears. I know that whilst voice matching is about matching voice coils it is most effective with the human voice and how often in a film does someone walk front front to back whilst talking.

The sound of a space ship or gun fire etc doesn't seem to change too much flying from rear to front with unmatched speakers

10. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too wouldn't pay £100 if my surrounds only cost £200, wasn't implying you should have....i was wondering why, if all speakers recieve the same frequencies why give certain channels far better cable than the others, was it just down to cost.
    PARDON. .....IAN
    Now you tell me, when i could have got some bell wire from B&Q and save a few quid.....:D

When i finished my upgrade i looked at various cables with 10% of what i spent as a budget.
    I found that QED S/A all round was within my budget, i wouldn't have bought S/A for the fronts and then something a lot cheaper for the rears, i would have gone for cable a bit cheaper enabling me to connect all the speakers with the same cable. This is just a reference i go buy, as with, all speakers the same make, oh.......and not forgeting Optical/Coaxial....... Coaxial, everytime, because it's better than Optical........:D

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My QED S/A links up to my floorstanding fronts, which I already had as part of my original hifi setup before I started adding home cinema components. :) Also, I will be listening to my music collection via the floorstanders, and not the surrounds :)

Graham

12. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that is something i will agree with you on, not that i disagree with your choice of cables, more of a personal preference about the mixing of cables.........;)

Stereo music and none of that DSP crap, i love the sound from the Denon when Direct mode is selected.
    Have you any music DVD's, if so are they 5.1, DTS or just 2channel, or is it just cds you play?

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

Only have CDs for music at the moment, but will have to get some DVD music sometime to see how they compare :D

Graham