Cable for HDMI 2.1 - Advice Appreciated before wiring up

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by chalk40, Aug 28, 2018.

1. chalk40

chalk40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Morning all.

I know there are no 2.1 HDMI devices yet but I have an unexpected opportunity to install the infrastructure and wiring now to support a new TV and surround system next year.

Are there any good quality full spec HDMI 2.1 cables that I can buy now and install in readiness for that? They only need be 5 meter ones luckily. Ideally ones I could source in the UK but happy to order from anywhere.

It means jack hammering out channels and back boxes into engineering brick and plastering over steel trunking which I'm happy to do and about to start but I want to avoid buying cables that next year likely become old hat.

In theory installing the 50mm steel box sections in the brickwork and plastering over mean I don't need rush the choice but would prefer doing just the once if I can.

I will install 2 of these to a new spec Blu-Ray player (yet to be sourced) and a Dual Satellite tuner (also yet to be sourced).

The TV will likey be a Panasonic OLED and again I will likely wait until 2019 models are released (or later if they are not right) to get the 2.1 but hang an older unit in the first instance.

Will also install 4 or 5 RJ45's in the same trunking, maybe a spare optical and anything else that maybe needed.

Appreciate any guidance on selecting a 2.1 HDMI cable you might have.

Many thanks

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,656
    There are no 48G or Ultra speed cables yet either.
    The certification program is not ready and wont be until years end.
    It will be early 2019 before genuine 48G cables show up.

There are a couple of fakes around, most notably the Belkin cable being pushed with the Apple and at least one other, these are high speed or premium cables accompanied by lies and a hefty price tag.

Note: as has always been the case , HDMI numbers refer to chipsets only and not cables.
    The new spec cables that will be needed for the features of the new spec are 48G or “ Ultra” speed cables.
    See the new logo at the bottom here...
    HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

3. chalk40

chalk40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Many thanks for the advice. I feared this might be the case but thought sensible to ask early.

I've installed paired RJ45's to HDMI face plates in other lower spec rooms ... kitchen, gym etc to effect HDMI and was unsure how in reality this might change. But as you explain, it's the chipset not the copper.

In reality I can wait, it just would have been nice to implement now if it was realistic. What I will do is crash ahead with 50mm steel trunking runs for data and power and install draw wires for that movement in 2019.

Many thanks for taking the time to clarify

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    As Andy points out you want to be looking at the required Features and not worry about kit/cables incorrectly labelled with Version Numbers.

Conduit and a pull cord is the best future proofing you can provide.

5m could be problematic for Ultra High Speed cables unless you go with Fibre/Hybrid Fibre HDMI as certified copper cables may top out at 3'!

Your system plan is key to ensuring any required Features will be available to you - for most folk eARC to a local Soundbar or AVR will likely be the key 'Feature' which late 2018/early 2019 kit brings along.

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Your TV as a Source plus multiple low cost streamers is much more the norm these days so many systems do not include 'Distribution' and instead rely more heavily on you having a stable/fast wired or wireless network.

Joe

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  5. Barney Gumble

Barney Gumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122

Why is the Belkin 'fake'? Belkin claim it meets the HDMI 2.1 specifications, will support 48GBps & [email protected], [email protected], & [email protected] displays.

I'd assume there would be legal repercussions if these claims were erroneous.

Can the 'Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable' labelling & certification not be added retrospectively, if the certification program hasn't started yet?

6. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,656
    Because you cannot be certified to a program that doesnt exist yet.
    You cannot meet the spec of a test that hasnt been finalised.
    Simple as that.

7. Barney Gumble

Barney Gumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I understand but with respect, you're stating the obvious. That doesn't mean Belkin, or any other manufacturer for that matter, can't make cables to the specified standard required seeing as those specifications are agreed & public.

So, my question again is: if the cables Belkin are selling & claim to meet the required requirements to be called 'Ultra High Speed HDMI', surely they will seek retrospective accreditation for said cables?

Otherwise one would assume there would be legal ramifications for misleading consumers, correct?

8. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,656
    The only official certification is through hdmi.org.
    The certifications are a quality assurance program.
    You make a cable , submit your samples, if you pass, you get to carry the logo and claim that guarantee for your product.
    There is no retrospective testing.

Like any other accreditation system in the world, you dont get the qualification until you pass the test.
    Saying you've passed the test before you've taken it is fraud.

Belkin have no clue whether or not their cable will pass the test yet they are selling it now at an elevated price, and making claims for it that they have no idea is true.
    They cannot truly make those claims because they dont know what the test involves, at this point , no one does.
    That is wrong.

See here, first section of Testing FAQ
    https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Q: What is the testing policy for HDMI 2.1 products?
    A: All products must comply with Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification and the HDMI 2.1 Compliance Test Specification (CTS); and until the CTS is available and a product has passed compliance testing a product cannot claim to be 2.1 compliant or market that it supports 2.1 features.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018