1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable for Canton CD1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by deadfolk, Aug 8, 2005.

1. deadfolk

deadfolk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off, let me apologise... I posted this question in the cables forum, but have had no replies, so I guess it was the wrong place. :suicide:

Anyway, here goes...I have ordered a Canton CD1 speaker package from Jake James on this forum (thanks Jake!) and need some new cable. The common wisdom seems to be that CAT5 is the way to go, but I found a thread here where hornydragon mentions that this might not be ideal for these speakers. I got the impression (apologies to HD if I have misinterpreted) that he had not actually heard this combo, but was making an educated guess.

Therefore, can anyone tell me if CD1/CAT5 combo is any good? Failing that, what is a good cable which you have actually heard with the CD1?

Thanks for reading,

Matt

2. deadfolk

deadfolk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any advice on this?
    Should I go CAT5? If no, then what?

I really have to order the cable today, so if no-one has anything to suggest, I'll have to just make a blind jump.

Thanks again,

Matt

3. bogie

bogie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try www.farnell.co.uk and type in "ofc speaker cable" in the search.

You will probably want the 1.5mm or 2.5mm size

Looks like good stuff to me!

That's if your speakers take normal speaker cable ofcourse

4. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not convinced by the CAT5 suggestion. Sounds like a lot of work for no benefit. If you've read my other threads, I strongly believe that the difference between cables of sufficient cross-sectional area and decent construction is compeltely imperceptible.

Get something fairly thick like QED 79-strand or equivalent - the CD1's terminals will take it easily. Multi-strand is better for making a decent connection in compression-type terminals. Then enjoy the music/movies, and forget the equipment. :rolleyes:

5. camelopardis

camelopardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought some Van Damme professional speaker cable from Maplin to go with my CD1's and I'm extremely impressed. The only problem is, the cables' so darn thick it wont go under the speaker stands, so I had to cut away a small length of the outer cable casing where the cable goes beneath the stands

6. deadfolk

deadfolk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

I think you hit the nail on the head - I was in serious danger of falling for all the hype around speaker cables. I ordered some of the Van Damme stuff from Maplin after doing some more reading around, and gave myself a mental slap on the back of the head!

All that remains is to wait for it to arrive, and enjoy. :cool: