Cable for bi-amping

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mjn, May 15, 2002.

1. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    There has been a few people looking to bi-amp, but needed a cable to split the single pre-out to dual phono.

The trouble was, nobody could fins a decent cable for the purpose, but i have found this cable here http://www.htcustomcables.com/home.asp?accessories.asp and the cable in question is the Y Adapter Cable - Mono to Stereo.

Its only 30cm long, but you will still need your normal stereo pair of interconnects.

Cost me just over £30 for 3 pairs and shipping to Ireland.

2. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like you I am based in Ireland (Dublin to be exact) I use this operation on a regular basis and if your order is worth more than AUD 100 shipping is free (to avoid VAT etc. you have Dave ship by Australian Post rather than courier).

I have considered bi-amping and was wondering how to do it ... is using a splitter a recommended approach?

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    These look very similar (if not identical) to the car audio ones I bought. I did not rate these at all. I will check the pictures tonight against my cables. The spec seems the same though.

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    well the only interconnects that do the same job, are made by Nordost i believe and are about $160 a pair?? No doubt somebody will be able to confirm / deny this.

5. timothyw

timothyw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    This thread seems to be missing what i understand to be the point of bi-amping. To biamp it is not simply a case of just taking the preout signal from your amp and splitting it into two amplifiers (though i suppose technically this is still biamping). To properly biamp you need to buy an active crossover- this takes your preamp outputs and splits them into at least two different ouputs. If properly configured, the individual outputs will output only the frequencies that are to be reproduced by the woofer/tweeter that each amplifier is connected to. If an active crossover is not being used then bass frequencies will be output to the high frequency inputs only to be filtered out by the speakers crossover filter. This is clearly a waste of the amplifiers capacity, and won't actually sound much better (if at all) than just using the one amplifier!
    I found a biamping article here:
    http://uk.srd.yahoo.com/goo.uk/bi-amping/1/*http://www.sound.au.com/bi-amp.htm

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    To properly biamp you need to buy an active crossover- this takes your preamp outputs and splits them into at least two different ouputs. If properly configured, the individual outputs will output only the frequencies that are to be reproduced by the woofer/tweeter that each amplifier is connected to. If an active crossover is not being used then bass frequencies will be output to the high frequency inputs only to be filtered out by the speakers crossover filter.

I understand what you are saying and know this is the way it's done in car hifi installations where there is no x-over at the speaker (so it's mandatory to use an active x-over) end but consider that all bi-wire/amp-able hifi speakers still have x-over components in the signal path, even you remove the metal link at the speaker terminal.

Secondly I beg to differ that the x-over "filters" them out - where would they go? It cannot be dispersed as heat as resistors with a rating of say 100 Watt are big as a brick and else your cable would melt away or your speaker would burn down.

The x-over prevents the current from flowing in the first place as the x-over component represents an infintive load to the frequency which is not supposed to pass through.
    Thus there is no low frequency in the tweeter path and no high frequency in the bass/mid path at all. So the amplifier does not need to amplify those frequencies either.

I could agree on that using an active x-over maybe (technically) a better solution but then you would need to open up your speaker and rip out the (passive) x-over, else I don't see the point.

7. dave48

dave48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This post seems to be talking about bi-wiring, not bi-amping. I personally can't imagine that bi-wiring actually makes any difference, even though some people claim to have heard improvements.

For bi-amping you need to have one power amp feeding the tweeter and a second power amp feeding the woofer. Whether this effective doubling of your amplifier costs brings the same benefit as buying a single amplifier that is twice the price of the individual amps is a moot point.

The idea of the external active crossover only seems to have been used much by companies such as Naim & Linn - and assumes you have your entire set-up including amps and speakers from the same manufacturer.

Dave48

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    Bi wiring, bi-amping and active operation all all completely different.

Bi-wiring is the waste of space hoisted on us by cable manufacturers.

Bi-ampling has some real technical advantages and is beneifical in many set ups. It uses the passive crossovers in Loudspeakers.

Active working is the complete removal of passive crossovers from the loudspeaker replaced with active filtering happening before the amplifier to each drive unit.

These Y connectors are used to easily distribute the signal to two amplifiers from a single output from your processor for bi amping.

9. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    i was only posting this cable as some people were after such a thing a while ago, but i couldn't remember who it was! :)

and dave48, what has this cable got to do with bi-wiring?

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    MJN

The link is VERY welcome, I only hope I am wrong with my initial look. Nordost are just too expensive IMHO. I have also contacted Russ Andrews to see if he can so 2 and 3 way Y style splitters. I will post results. I still hope Tag will make some. I always thought this was an easy way to sell more amps!

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,868
    Well when mine arrive in a couple of weeks, i'll be able to see the quality first hand.. :)