1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Cable fault" that affects different digital channels?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by hyphz, Jul 20, 2005.

1. hyphz

hyphz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

In the area where I live, we have a communal aerial for terrestrial TV, which was an old analog aerial modified to recieve digital Freeview.

I've had a lot of problems with broken up transmission on my digibox (Nokia Mediamaster), and in many cases the box freezes completely and has to be power-cycled.

The aerial installers say that the cable connecting to the communal aerial is the problem (it's very old). However, the break-ups and crashes happen differently on different channels: 1 and 2 are perfect, 4 and 17 (Top-Up) are weak, and 12 (Top-Up) is unwatchable.

Is it really possible for a cable fault to affect different digital channels differently or is our aerial installer feeding us a line?

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Yes, this is normal when the wrong type of cable is installed. The least robust multiplexes are usually (but not always) the first to succumb. It can also be a symptom of the cable being installed close to the mains power cables.

You might fare better with an indoor aerial. I don't mean an aerial with an "indoor" label on it. I mean a suitable aerial (wideband, high gain - how far are you from the transmitter?) installed indoors. This can be unsightly but it's sometimes possible to disguise it or hide it. But the first thing to do is to get an aerial and try it, before worrying about how it looks.