Cable digital....motion artifacts!

bananas

Established Member
Reaction score
I have NTL cable digital just installed (upgraded from their analgue system),and I must say, im not very impressed with the compression artifacts im seeing.

Im wondering if anyone has noticed this..and indeed if Sky Digital has the same problems.

When a large colour gradient appears on screen, the colours are 'banded' (like a 16bit image)

This looks TERRIBLE!!!

Also, just to finish me off, I was watching a Discovery channel programme on Tornados last night, and on large moving images, theres compression artifacts!! (blockiness etc)

Its like watching a REALLY poor DVD...very very disapointing.

Im not sure if its just NTL, or maybe my connection, but it happens on all channels all of the time, and of course, now I notice it, I cant stop looking for it..god thats annoying.

Is this the future?

Does your TV have Digital Noise reduction ? Or any other image "Enhancements" ?

Try switching them all off for digital fonts
smile.gif

Rui

------------------
An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

Yes - I have noticed things like this on Sky Digital on certain channels. On some of the more obscure channels its downright abysmal.

So much for the digital revulsion... (sorry - revolution!)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Jay2000 (edited 09-01-2001).]

bananas,

I've just had NTL installed, and the picture quality is generally excellent on all channels (I have the base + the SkyOne pack).

Get on to them and complain - blocking should be only seen with OnDigital and Sky with a poor signal. Check the connectors on the wall and STB first though...

I believe that they can individually adjust the signal strength to each house from the switchbox in the street (although this is not widely known, so don't try this one on them!). Make sure they don't try to charge you for a call-out either.

Good luck.
Joel

I too have ntl digital cable and the discovery channels do have terrible digital blocking and pixellisation etc . Most of the main channels ITV , C4 and the sky ones look pretty good (although football does test the bitrates) . The BBC channels are clearly worse for digital artefacts than the other big channels though - I think I read somewhere that they use a fixed 5Mb/s and it's just not enough . .Perhaps they should use Sky's variable bit rate system .

I've just had Sky Digital installed, and even my mrs noticed how dodgy the picture was on EastEnders last night!

Haven't yet got it hooked up via RGB so hopefully that'll make a difference.

Still looked much sharper than the original BBC1 image though!

------------------
Everybody be cool. YOU, be cool.
--------------------------------------
[email protected]
http://www.geocities.com/ptmbradley

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom