1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Connection Q for Squirrel - or anyone else

Discussion in 'TVs' started by rashomon, May 20, 2002.

1. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Squirrel (or anybody else for that matter),

Just a dumb Q you may be able to help me with.

I have purchased a IXOS 126 AV Scart -> Scart cable ... ready to use with my JVC AV28R25.

However, reading your posts re: S-Video providing better picture quality on this particular tv, I'ld like to get a S-Video cable to compare against - what would you recommend -

Option 1. S-Video -> S-Video cable

or

Option 2. Scart - > S-Video

If Option 2, does it matter whether the scart goes in the TV or the DVD ?

Sorry for being a total thickie on this subject ...

Thanks in advance

Rashomon

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Some sets vary with RGB but usually a decent scart cable connected between dvd and tv with both set to RGB should yield the best image for scart capable tvs - that is those without component as an option.
    A QED Sqart AV41 RGB only (picture only) one and a seperate digital cable (or phonos) to your amp, if you have one, possibly. Though Ixos are pretty good.
    S-video may appear brighter but with RGB you should get better colour seperation/depth and clarity etc.
    Try setting your dvd -> tv with both set for RGB - if you aint already - with the Ixos and see what you think first. No point in buying untold cables.

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Rashomon, I missed this one when you posted it - just found it now by accident.

I would recommend using the Scart to Scart S-Video option (just turn on the S-Video for EXT2 or 3 in the TV menu). You do not need to use the S-Video connector that is behind the right speaker in order to use S-Video, it is also available using your existing scart cable (just dont put it into EXT1 because that is RGB only).

4. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Squirrel,

I did try to do this earlier today - but the manual is not that clear on setting up the EXT to use S-Video as input - I'll try again tonight.

I guess in that case, that a Scart -> Scart is as good as a S-Video -> S- Video or a Scart -> S-Video cable.

Cheers,

Rashomon

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes of course it is - the shape of the plugs on the end make no difference - it's the quality of the cable you are using (in this case, you are using a great cable :)).

The manual is indeed CRAP with regards to explaining the scarts - but I worked it all out after fiddling a bit so if you have any questions let me know and I'll post what I can remember. Basically though, just read all the onscreen icons throughout - you need to highlight the EXT that you want and then hit the S-Video button (it's one of the coloured keys, it shows you onscreen). Note that this prompt won't be displayed for EXT1 because it's not S-Video capable.

Let me know what you think once you've had a chance to compare the two :)

6. rashomon

rashomon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Squirrel,

I popped out to Currys at lunch and worked out how to set the S-Video up on their display model - it's a doddle!

My earlier 'S-Video' test was a duff in that case - I guess it was a crappy Composite signal that I was viewing!.
    I shall try again tonight to see if there is any significant improvement.

Thanks again - you've been very helpful.

Rashomon.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries :D

When the engineer came round to look at my set, I had composite and RGB running at the same time as I had a spare composite cable (3 RCA) and my DVD player will output both at the same time. It's enough to see the difference in brightness/contrast from RGB.

The engineer actually told me that lots of people had complained about the dark RGB picture on this model and he advised me to use composite instead!!! :eek: I told him to get stuffed as you might expect!! :mad: