cable connection noob - a question about freeview

AlanB1976

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey all
I'm new to the UK and things were completely different back in sunny South Africa, so please forgive the stupid question.
Does the home digital cable connection carry any freeview? I know there is the normal antenna cable, but I've only got the digital cable connection in the bedroom (where I want another TV). Is it possible to get a box to convert to display the freeview on the TV or would I need to purchase a cable TV package?
Thanks
Alan

Cable TV connections do not output Freeview signals for a Freeview TV to be able to display. The only way to use the cable connection is to connect it to a cable STB and pay a subscription. For Freeview you need to get a TV aerial connected to the TV.

Mark.

The Landlord should be able to clarify what services are provided in the dwelling... and if you've purchased a property it should have been one of the routine questions asked and answered via the Solicitors.

The same type of cable is used in the UK for a terrestrial UHF antenna feed, a satellite antenna feed, a communal antenna distribution system feed and for a Cable TV feed. (Sometimes the connectors are different, sometimes not. F-types are almost invariably used on satellite and cable, though.). Most systems in most parts of the UK are now digital.

Thus, without test equipment we really are guessing as to what is really available in your situation. Perhaps a neighbour may know (if you are in a block of flats, for example)?.

The landlord is stupid and knows nothing. He happily takes my money though :p
What I can say is that I have connected my Virgin fibre broadband through it. So I'm assuming it is used for a cable TV feed.
Thanks for the help

In that case it should carry TV. BUT it will be in DVB-C rather than DVB-T. It will also be scrambled, except possibly the main 5 channels. You can't buy cable boxes but a few (very few) TVs have DVB-C decoders. Some people have got them working on Virgin cable systems though it is against Virgin's terms and conditions which you may have signed if you are using their broadband.

In that case it should carry TV. BUT it will be in DVB-C rather than DVB-T. It will also be scrambled, except possibly the main 5 channels. You can't buy cable boxes but a few (very few) TVs have DVB-C decoders. Some people have got them working on Virgin cable systems though it is against Virgin's terms and conditions which you may have signed if you are using their broadband.

Used to work in Virgin Medias analogue days but not since they went all digital. Connecting other equipment to a virgin cable is forbidden, and does not work without matching a card to a particular box and location.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom