1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable connection advice needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andy_mart, Feb 17, 2003.

1. andy_mart

andy_mart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Someone out there must be able to help and am rather green to subject. I have just bought a Plasma screen and a Yamaha Surround amp and speaker package from HiSpek who gave me a fantastic price and worked to my budget but the advice given was somewhat out. Basically found out that Yamaha Amp only has composite video connectors.

I have just bought a Panasonic Plasma TH-42PW5B which has Component connections, Composite (look like standard push fit audio connectors) and S-Video and Composite connections (again with look like standard push fit audio connectors.

I have sussed out all audio connections to amp but it is the visual connections that are causing a lot of problems.

I have the following equipment I need to connect:

Panasonic TH-42PW5B Plasma
    JVS SVHS video recorder Scart only connection
    DVD Player with both Component and Scart RGB connections
    Grundig Sky box with RGB capable SCART
    Yamaha HITB45 Surround Amp this only has Composite Video connections in/out

Having read the forum it would seem that Component connections are the way to go, so how do I connect both the Grundig Sky Digibox (Which is watched a majority of the time)which I believe to have only a RGB capable Scart connection and the DVD which has both Component and RGB capable Scart output. I dont want to resort to keep changing leads over manually at back of Plasma screen. I also want to be able to copy non-copyright DVDs from DVD player onto JVC Video recorder.

I have been offered a Scart switcher which is RGB capable but will there be a loss of picture quality by using this.

I am totally at a loss here and never had a problem when I had ordinary TV which had RGB enabled Scart socket, however with only Component and S-Video and composite connections.

Many thanks

Andy

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dvd to component on plasma
    sky rgb scart to svhs then either s-video into plasma
    or svhs ro s-video on plasma
    and sky rgb to converter to vga input on plasma
    all audio to amp

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    andy_mart

Plenty of options to play with and why not return the Yamaha if your not happy with it and its not got the features you asked for!

Three quick questions:

1. Do you intend to use a PC with your display?

2. Is your DVD offering progressive scan on the Component outs?

3. Does your Grundig box have a second SCART socket that offers RGB pass through.

Best regards

Joe

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Is that a current Yamaha? Mine was used to entertain the animals on Noah's b.... Ark, and has s-vid switching. Many modern amps do component switching as well as s-vid, you could do a good job with one of those, without touching the plasma remote, and leave the pc input free for x-box or PC gaming... you know you want to!