Cable confusion!

AnnaCB

Novice Member
Looking for help. I am moving into a house which has been renovated and which has several "aerial sockets" in various rooms, however it does not have an aerial on the roof. The owner says "Virgin cable is ready to be activated". I don't know whether this just means that there is Virgin cable running up to the house (there is black cable coiled up outside on one of the photos) or whether internally routed the cabling inside is virgin specific. Is that likely?

In any case I want BT Freeview, so I want those built in aerial points connected to a roof aerial . Is that possible, or do I need more information on what has been done? Is co ax completely agnostic?

MaryWhitehouse

Have a look in the loft there may well be one in there.

MaryWhitehouse

Lol that’s helpful. In that case I’d hope it’s all there for virgin media but I’m afraid I know nothing about their system.

JulianDS

Exceptionally unlikely to be a socket for virgin in each room. The coax sockets in each room almost certainly for TV, the mystery is where they all go, I guess you just need to go exploring???
‘virgin ready’ Might just mean that cable is in the street, or if you‘re lucky an internal cable to avoid an external box?

AnnaCB

Novice Member
Exceptionally unlikely to be a socket for virgin in each room. The coax sockets in each room almost certainly for TV, the mystery is where they all go, I guess you just need to go exploring???
‘virgin ready’ Might just mean that cable is in the street, or if you‘re lucky an internal cable to avoid an external box?
Yes that is what I was thinking, it seems unlikely. The owner doesn't seem to know what has been done or what is where. I may have to wait until I get there, which isn't ideal as it means I am putting off broadband install too. Or i just cross fingers, activate BT and an aerial install and hope for the best!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Probably best to wait until you get into the property and can properly asses what has been installed - or get someone in who can undertake a survey and advise on what options you have. You can come across some pretty weird and wonderful 'DIY' installs.

Joe

Last edited:

AnnaCB

Novice Member
I got the estate agent to go in with whatsapp video, there are 6 aerial sockets the ends of which are bundled up under the stairs not connected to anything. Outside there is cable from the street to the door not connected to anything. I am hoping I can install a roof aerial and connect it to those 6 cables inside, but i don't know work what!
IMG-20200827-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200827-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20200827-WA0002.jpg

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
You need a coax from a roof aerial cabled into the under stairs cupboard. All you then need is a power point and a 6 way UHF distribution amplifier. All the internal cabling will be standard 75 ohm coax.

Amazon product
Google how to fix screw on f connectors to terminate the 6 cables under the stairs.

AnnaCB

Novice Member
You need a coax from a roof aerial cabled into the under stairs cupboard. All you then need is a power point and a 6 way UHF distribution amplifier. All the internal cabling will be standard 75 ohm coax.

Amazon product
Google how to fix screw on f connectors to terminate the 6 cables under the stairs.
Thank you that is really helpful, I'll buy the UHF amplifier and f connectors in readiness. Whilst it's annoying it's not set up, it's also great to learn something new!

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thank you that is really helpful, I'll buy the UHF amplifier and f connectors in readiness. Whilst it's annoying it's not set up, it's also great to learn something new!
Be careful. The f connectors have to be the correct size for the cable. They have to tightly screw over the cable sheath. Try ones designed for WF100 coax or similar initially. No way of telling from a photo. If you can get someone to measure the diameter of the cable it would help.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It also looks like you will require power in the space where the six cables run back to.

Joe

JulianDS

Amazon product
just as described, one like this (my understairs cupboard):

Attachments

AnnaCB

Novice Member
Thank you everyone, you've been really helpful. Our aerial install is going ahead on 3rd and because of your help I am saving some money by supplying the UHF distribution amplifier part myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom