1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable conduit for DIY numpty

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Kaz, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been reading around other threads but still have a couple of Qs.
    I figure I'm going to be hiring tool/s (and an industrial hoover) to make channels in the brick and plaster wall of my 1920's houses living room.
    I've to run the following leads:
    a very thick component lead (from Bluejeans)
    DVI
    VGA
    Power
    CAT 6 (future proofing)
    The AV stuff sits on a cabinet to the side of the fireplace above which sits the plasma.

I'm figuring on cutting 2 channels up, one slightly higher, then both across to the behind the screen. 1 for the power, 1 for the feeds.

I'm guessing you've to put some sort of casing into your messy holes, but what do you use? Tubes or square conduit?
    What decides the width and depth of the holes?
    Is it possible to make it so you can pull the leads out without making the walls too weak?
    Can you hire them do-daars to make sure there's no cables there before I get hacking?
    And what to you use to provide a neat exit for your leads at both ends?
    What do you use to fill over with? normal plasta or filla? I guess you then sand over.
    Can someone come round and re-decorrate afterwards, I can't be a**ed :D ?

2. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Im sortof in the same position at the moment...
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226699

I am going to run square trunking in through the wall, and terminate the cabling through standard back boxes and mount BNCs, S-Video and scart onto blank plates. This way I will also leave the plugging flexable.

Im planning to cut about 1" deeper than the trunking, and nailing the back of the trunking to the back of the chase. Then when the cover is on, there is 1" to fill with plaster... I hope enough for the plaster to take and be solid.
    I will be using normal plaster, but the most important thing to remember is to wet all surfaces before filling the hole! :lesson:

Cable detectors can be purchased for £10 - £15, so no point hiring... Id be happy to help you re-decorate if you help me pay for my Plasma :smashin:

Regards,

Gareth.

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    All i can say is under no circumstances should you run power cables across a wall. if you need to get power to your plasma it should be routed vertically from the top of the skirting board, in the wall and then out behind the panel.
    Being a sparks i have performed this operation many, many times.
    And to be honest, it is a bloody pain in the arse to do.
    And of course, most of the time people have decorated and made their room look lovely and then decide to have a plasma. They then look in horror as you tell them that you will have to hack out the walls to bury the cables.

I then have to say "sorry, but my 'cables into the wall' spell doesnt seem to be working at the moment."

4. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is the fireplace in use? If not then a hole in the side of the chimney and another behind where the screen will be would do, run the cables up inside the chimney and voila, not much plastering and no visable cables.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179562

5. nicknackynoo

nicknackynoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found B&Q patching plaster the easiest to use, its the type you mix yourself but its designed for deep holes, the normal stuff will never set and normally slumps out by time its getting hard!

I'm doing my system soon and bought a wall chasing machine from Aldi last week on special offer, it cuts out the channel to the exact depth and width you need. You can hire these machines and is worth it if you dont want the conduit bulging out of the channel.