• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cable cat 5 or 6

Werewolfs

Prominent Member
As title says. Is there any difference at all between cat 5 and cat 6 cables. I am on virgin with a supposed 60mb but would there be any advantage in upgrading to cat 6. Any advantage with multi player would help as I am not the best player even with practice.(must be old age)
Thanx in advance Steve

SILVAF0XX

Established Member
The difference is cat5 has a speed on 100mbps & cat6 is 1000mbps

It is worth installing in order to "futureproof" but in reality you will not really need that much capacity any time soon.

When/if your broadband speed surpasses 100mbps then obviously it would be useful. Only hardwired devices with gigabit ports will be able to use the extra speed though. This will rule out most standard routers and Xbox 360 etc... although the Xbox one has gigabit as far as I remember?

Weigh up the cost... if you are burying them in walls etc it may be worth going cat6.

Mr_Ceee

Established Member
Cat5 is limited to 100Mb, Cat5e supports a max of 1Gb, cat 6 supports 1Gb and even 10Gb at short lengths (upto 55 meters) and has better noise immunity. If it's a new run then I would go with cat6 for future proofing.

blicky_1

Prominent Member
I run Cat5e throughout the house with a Virgin hub and a gigabyte switch, no problems at 1000mbps (the devices that support it)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom