Cable as a source of noise?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by allanb, Mar 15, 2006.

1. allanb

allanb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to track down the source of occasional crackling noises, apparently in one channel only, and I think I've eliminated every possibility except the speaker cables. I've never been quite convinced that "special" cables are worth the money, but I'm getting desperate.

The cable runs are quite long, and they pass close to a phone line and to some tubular light bulbs. I'm wondering whether noise could be caused by electrical interference, or maybe just by the length of the cables - and in either case, whether any particular kind of cable might help.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

2. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    what's your system and what are you using for speaker cable at the moment.

The trick to tracking down faults is a methodical, logical approach. If it's only on one channel then try swapping the left and right cable connections on your amp round. If the noise is still on the same side then it's either the cable or the speaker. Then swap the speakers over, if it still does it then it's the cable.

3. Jake

Jake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be sure its the cable, run a temporary speaker cable from the amp to the speaker along a different route. There is no need to match with the existing cables for this test.
    If the problem is solved you have identified the culprit.

The noise could also be caused by bad terminations and /or damaged cable.

Good luck