1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable any good?.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Hysteria, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This Cable any good?.

EDIT: More to the point is it worth £5 a metre?, i'll only need a metre or two for my center.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Cable costing £5 per metre is severe overkill for your Eltax speakers

3. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have Eltax speakers, I've got pioneer speakers.

4. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What cable do you recon would be good for my speakers then?.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    2.5mm mains flex is as good as anything you'll get under £10/m. Cat 5 is better/.

6. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah was going to make some of that full frequency range cable with some cat5 but i'm having trouble finding solid copper cat5.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry for confusion but the principle is the same as I don't even have £5 per metre cable on my £950 per pair speakers.

The purists would suggest that all cables should be from the same manufacturer so the best cable for your centre speaker would be what you use for the front two.

Failing that, Stereo Steve's suggestion has a lot of fans here but if you want to buy a well known name I would suggest something along the lines of QED Bronze SE at £2.50 per metre from www.hifibitz.co.uk

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    www.maplin.co.uk product code VB20W is the stuff TNT recommend. You'll find plenty of stuff on here about it if you search. You need 3 times the total length of your cables and if you buy 100m the price falls to 30p a metre which equates to 90p a metre for the finished cable. Smaller amounts start at 49p a metre (£1.47/m).

It's really worth trying if you can be bothered. If not why not get some heavy mains flex (2.5mm) and double up or biwire if you like. It will cost a fraction of many branded cables and bet you won't hear the difference (nobody has been able to yet).

The FFRC is worth the effort though IMHO if you fancy a bit of twiddling.

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    :hiya: Stereo Steve, I'm interested in your comments, but find it hard to believe (that 2.5mm mains flex is so good). :confused: This is the second time I've seen this comment posted, so thought I would explore further ...

Have you, or do you know if anyone else has, done any tests between mains cable and big branded, award-winning cable, say QED Silver Anniversary?

Also what is "Cat 5" cable? Where can you get it & how much is it?

When using mains cable, do you recommend any particular brands? How do you terminate/connect it to speakers/amp for best quality?

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Havn't tried this (yet ;) ) but mains flex is generally regarded as good because it has a solid core amongst other reasons. Cat5 is bog standard ethernet computer networking cable.

11. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I've tried 13amp flex cable, shark speaker cable, maplin 79 strand speaker cable, 10mm DC car ICE power cable, Acoustic Research cable and 4 core (solid) telephone cable to name but a few. To be honest they all sound basically the same to me. The only thing I've noticed is that the solid core cable gave a more pronounced treble and the 10mm multistrand had more bass with my system. Bare in mind one is 1mm diameter solid compared to about 750 thin strands wound together, so they probably should sound different due to physics.

Edit: all terminated with gold banana plugs.

12. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as branded cables go the pureflow is a decent enough cable but is overshadowed by qed's silver anniversary for near enough the same amount!

13. Hysteria

Hysteria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so, I got some of this
    i know it's not the £2.50 stuff as described. It looks more like Gale XL 105 to me. 85p inc p&p per m is a rather good price though.

14. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    As far as I'm aware a shotgun style, multi stranded cable is not a good design to start with. This includes all you QED SA, Monster, Gale, Cable talk etc. basic cables that people swear by.

A solid core is much better as long as it's not too big so mains cable is a good cheap solution. Better, is multi stranded cable with individually insulated conductors, prefferably twisted together. Cat 5 fit's this bill perfectly and can be doubled or tripled up to reduce resistance.

I'm not a tech as regards cable science but in my own basic tests, the only cable I have ever thought to be better was Cat 5 FFRC. I found mains flex easilly as good as QED SA or anything else.

I just hate to see people throwing money at cables that are little more than off the roll zip wire with a fancy jacket.

16. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    There is a lot of technical investigations into various types of cable. I remember when Dr Harkfords used to fill the letters pages of HiFi Answers in the early 1980's with reasons why solid core was a valid option.

Different types of cable offer different solutions to transmitting audio. There is no one best type of cable as the interactions with YOUR equipment will be slightly different to everyone else's. Additionally, we then need to take into account YOUR perception. You will quite simply hear things in a very slightly different way to everyone else.

None of this really answers your original question but to my mind the really big thing about mains and CAT5 is that they are very cheap and can produce a very good sound. Are they as good as some exotic £50 a metre cable - the only answer is a home demonstration, and that really is the key, you need a dealer who is willing to lend you some cable although I cannot imagine B&Q lending you some solid core mains cable