Cable and sky

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by raigraphixs, Sep 24, 2001.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,459
    Hi,

1. I am having problems with sky (minidish), when it rains i lose connection and most times picture freezes. Terrible when watching football, other than that the picture is superb.

2. I am thinking of getting telewest cable fitted as well, as tv reception is really bad in my areas, so i need ITV1,etc. Can i get just the box installed with no subcription at the moment?, also what is the picture like on cable?.

3. I may later change my sports channels to cable to stop the rain freezing the picture problem. Does cable have freezing problems?, i assume when it rains it still fine though?.

4. Can i have 2 boxes (cable) and are they channel independant, ie can i watch 2 different channels, i think one of my neighbours has this.

thanks for any input.

rai

<br />PS.

RE: screen burn<br />Dont forget RP tv users to bombard those digital/tv companies with 'Dont show me the logo!' letters and emails and calls.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you picture goes "every" time it rains, chances are your dish is out of alignment or you live north of manchester (your profile says kent so it wont be that).

You should only get picture breakup during heavy rain/snow.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In answer to your questions.<br />The picture on digital cable is fine (as good as Sky)<br />You can have more than one box and watch different channels in other rooms,<br />The only downside is it will cost you more than sky. I have cable upstairs and Sky down!

4. nwebb

nwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have cable upstairs and Sky downstairs! But I'm going to be ditching the cable to get a 2nd Sky box upstairs, as it's so much better than cable. And now Sky offer the mirrored sub it will save me money too.

Regarding freezing/breakup, I used to have a regular problem with this during wind and rain. This was down to my dish pointing at a tree (which had grown massively since it was first installed). I've now had it moved (the dish not the tree) and always get a perfect picture no matter what the weather.

You'd be much better off sorting out your current problem, whether it's the position or alignment of the dish (or whatever other reason may be causing it), rather than defecting to cable.

5. Chippy99

Chippy99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +523
    Graham, nwebb,

You may be able to offer me *really* valuable advice! I am very close to switching from cable to sky, but I am worried that the picture quality on Sky might not be *quite* as good. And 1 year is a long time to have to put up with it before I could cancel and swap back again.

Would you say the picture is as good on Sky? I am with Telewest at the moment, and I must say the picture is *superb*. And I am *very* fussy!

Thanks - I'd *really* appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Chip.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chippy<br />Don't worry about picture quality on Sky it's evry bit as good as cable if you can get a good line of site to the satalite (no trees/large buildings in the way) Also, make sure your scarted up with good quality leads and finally,connect to an RGB socket,set sat box to RGB (NOT PAL).<br />If all this is done,and it should be with a proffesional instalation, the picture will knock your socks off!<br />Happy viewing,<br />Graham W