1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable and interconnects suggestions

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mellow, Dec 11, 2002.

1. mellow

mellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie would like recommendations on interconnects and speaker cables for new kit arriving soon.

Kit is:
    TV - Toshiba 36ZT29B
    DVD - Toshiba SD220E
    Receiver - Yamaha RX-V630RDS
    Speakers - Tannoy MX4-M, MXC-M, MXR-M

Plan to use component video DVD-TV, digital co-ax DVD-Amp, biwire the MX4s, normal wire the centre. Speaker cable for rears already in place.

Do readers have particular preferences/suggestions for particular makes/brands of cables? Is it worth getting Airloc banana plugs for this level of kit?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I use a mixture of Kimber and XLO interconnects and speaker cables in my system,and have found Kimber(available at very good prices from www.russandrews.com)to offer a very good combination of sound and interference rejection at a good price.
    The digital interconnects I use are all XLO,but also somewhat expensive at £300/m.

All depends on how much you want to spend,and for what you have in mind,I'd recommend Kimber PBJ interconnects,with either 4TC or if you can afford 8TC speaker cables and dont forget the power cords,which can make an amazing difference in areas with poor mains quality.

As an extra,Russ Andrews will allow you to try and return many cables if you dont like them,and also offers a very generous trade-in scheme for upgrading.

P.S.Not in the employ of Russ Andrews!

System:
    Linn CD
    Samsung DVD
    Perpetual Technologies P1A upsampler
    TagMclaren AV32R
    Krell KMA 100 monoblocs
    B&W Nautilus 805s
    B&W CDMCNT
    Kimber PBJ and XLO Type IV interconnects
    Kimber 4TC and 8TC speaker cables
    Kimber High Current Power Cords.

3. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Russ Andrews! Kimber! Power cords..!

Yeah sure, spend more on cables than the guy's spent on his system in total makes good sense.. :rolleyes:

I'd go for something like this:

Digi Coax - Ixos 105 ~£20
    Spk Cable - QED Silver Anniv ~£4m (biwire ~£7.50pm)
    Analogue interconnect - Ixos 104 ~£20
    Nana plugs - couple of quid each..

www.hifistore.co.uk

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thanks Bapapa,you may have noticed that I recommended Kimber PBJ,which is pretty reasonably priced and well worth the price relative to Ixos cables.
    The yello power cords from Russ Andrews are also pretty cheap by anyone's standards.
    Ixos also have no upgrade policy that I am aware of.
    Still,Ixos etc arent bad cables for the price,and mellow wouldn't go far wrong with them as beginners.
    :rolleyes:

5. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alexs2 - this stuff is supposed to be good - Shunmook.. prolly cost a few quid though.. :eek:

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Seems to have rattled your cage somehow.....which wasnt the intention at all,as I was only suggesting investing a bit in decent cables now,rather than buying and buying again as you slowly move along the upgrade trail.

BTW...if the hifi store is yours......good on you...good stuff/good prices.....could do with more like you.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm with you alexs. I am currently in the process of choosing some new speaker cables for my new Ruark Preludes. The old Cable Talk 3.1 is just not up to it any more. Now, seeing as I currently use a Sony 1080 for amplification I'm tempted to buy some cheapo QED cables but next year I will be upgrading to Arcam/Tag type gear so I'm thinking maybe bite the bullet now and go for some nice Kimber or Chord leads and I'll never have to bother again.

It'll cost me but I see it as an investment. Besides you can always sell a good cable second hand for good money.

Steve

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Having actually run the numbers for resistance and reactance in typical cases I reckon expensive speaker cable is a waste of money. If you don't believe me, try doing some blind testing. Get two sets of cheap cable and two sets of expensive cable. Obtain some means of covering up the cables so you can't see which are being used. Then get a friend to change them randomly while you're out of the room (preferably using a computer generated sequence of random numbers). Listen and try to determine by sound alone whether it's actually expensive or cheap cable being used. Repeat numerous times, then see how many you actually got right.

So long as the total impedance of the cable remains a small fraction (say <5%) of the impedance of the speaker at its lowest you won't hear any significant difference. There are quite a number of reports on the 'Net of people describing huge audible differences between cable A and cable B when actually they were exactly the same cable. Never underestimate the power of the placebo effect.

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So whats wrong with a placebo effect if it makes me happy?:D

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    If it's a placebo effect,I'll start listening to MP3!

Seriously though,I'm not sure my ears are any good,but I can certainly tell the difference between the Kimbers I use now,and the massive(and low resistance)Linn cables I used to use when I had Linn Keltiks.
    :)

11. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    If it makes you happy, absolutely nothing. :)

12. Bapapapa

Bapapapa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, no you haven't rattled my cage I'm only messing.. It's just what you've recommended seems way over the top for a lowish budget system.. And anyway, 'normal' people tend not to be serial upgraders..

Wish I was 'normal', would save me a fortune.. :p

Hehe, no it isn't mine.. if it was do you think I'd be recommending the cheap stuff..? :devil:

:D

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    LOL,Bapapapa,you do have a good point there about the cheap cables......and "normailty"....still, a pity we all cant get the good stuff at prices that our wives would appreciate!.....I usually divide the prices by at least 5 for domestic harmony. ;)

14. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But that would be dishonest! Surely she doesn't believe you!

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got some QED Silver Anniversary Biwire cheap and hooked it up to replave the 10 year old Cable Talk 3.1 (I think it's 3.1, you know when huge thick cables were all the rage).

At first I was unaware of any change. After 20 or so hours of Santana I have had an epiphony. My system sounds 10 times better. The 3D effect I lost when switching from Ruark Epilogues to Preludes is all back and more. The sound is lively, punchy, open and just fantastic.

I have just done a back to back test and there is a definate difference. It's clearest on a tom-tom bit but overall it's a revelation.

Not sure how much real expensive cables would add but QED's SA kicks the 3.1's into touch for real.

S

16. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting, I bought QED Silver bi-wire to replace CableTalk 3.1 and had mixed results. The treble was sweeter but there was a distinct lack of bass (using KEF Reference 4's), as I was bi-wiring I ran the QED for the treble and CableTalk for the bass. I then tried CableTalk Concert and was very pleased with the result, it had the strengths of both cables, at £8/m it's great value, well worth a try.

17. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found that the bass with the 3.1's was flabby and boomy whereas with the QED, it's tight and punchy. It may be the set up of my room though with suspended wooden floors.

A better example of the difference is on 'The Man's too strong' by Dire Straits. You can actually hear that he has new strings (if you know what that sounds like) on his guitar. That was missing before.

I'm well pleased with the SA's but I guess it depends on your components in the end.

Steve