1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cable advice connecting for sacd/dvd-a

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Stevie S, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there

I am finishing off an order for a system and am hesitating over how much to spend on the interconnects hooking up my Denon DVD2900 to Denon AVR3803 for SACD/DVD-A. I know I need three pairs of interconnects. The dealer is suggesting 3x Chord Chorus at a total cost of £465. :eek:

I believe IXOS do a good, all in one thing for a lot less, but does anyone else have any advice? Doesn't £465 seem like overkill for this system, which I am hoping is a good one, but hardly ultimate high end?

thanks in advance
    Stevie

2. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    Try some DIY cables using RG59 or Belden cable with Canare Phono plugs and save yourself a packet. For performance you are unlikely to find much better.

Have a look in the DIY Forum for info. :) Some members will also make them up for you. Try Mark Grant or groundy. :)

3. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking into this now - many thanks for the advice

Stevie

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  5. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's the one. Thanks. But it looks like I may go the DIY route...

Stevie

6. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Steve - other end of the scale but I am impressed by them is the QED Qunex cables. I got a set of Qunex 2's as a start off point and they outperform a set of Ixos cables I bought for my CD player about 5 years ago. The QED's cost me £30 and they sound amazing for the money.

But that said - I have heard the difference in some of these top end cables and they make some serious differences. Which discs you aiming on playing - How you getting on with DVD - A as I am disappointed by it.

Cheers

Andy C

7. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Andy

I'm currently awaiting supply and installation of equipment, so I can't give a comprehensive reply on DVD-A. But I really liked the samples I heard during demos of equipment at Audio-T. I listened to some of the Allman Brothers Fillmore on the DTS disc and the F Mac Rumours. Sounded impressive to me, but as I say, I haven't had the time or opportunity to really explore the format.
    What's your set-up, since this is obviously going to be a major factor on how you're experiencing dvd-a?

Thanks for the advice on cables. Qunex was another option I was considering. I think I am probably going to go via a DIY route now, from a member of the avforums, who is offering what seem to be very high spec cables at much more reasonable prices than the chord company ones.

Stevie

8. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Your dealer is either stupid or just wants to make lots of money from you. Given the equipment you have his suggestion is just plain barmy. If you want to spend reasonable money try Van Den Hul The Bay C5 - about £35 a pair - very nice but see how it sounds with your system. I personally would not spend any more than this (try much less actually!!!) for DVDA and SACD output, given what you have.

9. andymc

andymc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Im running a Pioneer 565A into a Marantz SR4300 through Eltax Millenium 5.1 set up with a Mordant Short sub. My main concern with the DVD-Audio sound is that seems lacking in the top end when in 2 channel mode but then gets splashy in surround. Saying that I only have three discs at the moment and its the Corrs In Blue that sounds dire. Fleetwood Mac Rumours sounds okay thought it was a quick listen before I hurtled out to work. Got Beethovens Pastoral which sounds okay as well, just a little hard.

I suppose I am comparing the intial sound against that of SACD which is going through my main Hifi system which is a better set up and I did buy this kit ot work out which way I wanted to go and at the moment its SACD for me...

Andy C

10. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    My sincere apologies for the belated response, but just browsed your post by chance.

I have both the Player & Amp you have and I have used QED [0.5 mt] Silver Spiral to connect up ALL the 4 sets of analogue outputs from the player to the amp. Absolutely MOUTHWATERING :smashin: ! Went to HifiStore (online) and got the lot for around £200. Could do alot worse:nono:

Hope you got it set up ok?

Best Regards

LAGAVULIN

11. Stevie S

Stevie S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiya. I ended up getting some cables made up by a forum member, and they sounded great to me when I tried them out. I DID end up splashing out on a more expensive cable (chord company) for the digital audio signal, but the cables Mark Grant made - and he said they would be similar to the silver serpent ones you mentioned - were fantastic.

Overall, the system is working out really well. Best of all, I think, is probably the SACD and DVD-A on stereo settings.

Stevie

12. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Hi Stevie,

Glad to hear you got your kit connected up nice and good. Yeah, I love the 2900 and 3803 (I had the 3801) which I invested in' not only for good movie playback, but I'm listening to more music in my old age:confused: and I'd heard alot about the above Denon kit...

I agree, SACD [& DVD-A for that matter] have to heard to be appreciated. IMHO, I think SACD has the superior edge, and in stereo through my Sennheiser 590's sounds smashing:smashin:

But I do like the multichannel stuff when sat in the sweet spot:zonked:

Glad to hear you got it done good. An investment and half!

All the best mate,

LAGAVULIN