Cabinets, not racks

fyonn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya folks,

At the moment, I'm looking for a nice cabinet to put a flat screen on top of, a some AV kit inside of (av amp, dvd player, tuner, tivo etc). It seems like almost everyone is selling open racks to house these things, but I'd rather like to hide some of this stuff away, or at least keep it looking neater.

All these open racks have a tendancy to pick up dust quickly and can easily look messy if you're not careful with the wiring.

I'd like to have it in some form of nice cabinet with sides to keep the dust out, (frosted) glass doors to zap a remote control through and an open back for ease of wiring and ventilation. any form of cable management would be a bonus.

The quadraspire QKAV is nice, actually almost exactly what I'm looking for, but it seems very expensive. I like the hide-away doors though :)

Do you guys know of any other hifi cabinet makers who make similar things, but without so much of a premium?

any other idea's?

dave

dave

I have a great cabinet that I got from Habitat. The up side is it looks really smart (is oak effect) and hides everything away. The down side, which doesn't bother me is it has a solid front. This runs on rollers and slides down from top to bottom. This was £260.00. I have tried to find on the website but it's not on their so I cant show you a picture.

You could try Multiyork. A friend of mine has the larger capri and it looks great.

http://www.multiyork.co.uk/spec/specification03.asp?category=tvstereo

He has all the equipment in the sides and his centre speaker in the middle (took out the glass shelf). The back comes off to so if your gear is too deep, you can solve this too.

andrewf said:
I have a great cabinet that I got from Habitat. The up side is it looks really smart (is oak effect) and hides everything away. The down side, which doesn't bother me is it has a solid front. This runs on rollers and slides down from top to bottom. This was £260.00. I have tried to find on the website but it's not on their so I cant show you a picture.

You could try Multiyork. A friend of mine has the larger capri and it looks great.

http://www.multiyork.co.uk/spec/specification03.asp?category=tvstereo

He has all the equipment in the sides and his centre speaker in the middle (took out the glass shelf). The back comes off to so if your gear is too deep, you can solve this too.

I looked on the habitat website and couldn't find anything I really liked.

the multiyork kit is nice but *cough* even more expensive than the quadraspire :)

dave

If I remember I'll see what my Habitat unit is called when I get home tonight.

I'm looking for the same thing as well, there was one I saw in Habitat (might be the same one as the others are talking about). I can't link it due to there website but if you go to Products> Audio/Video Storage> Audio/Video Furniture its called Memphis and its £329, its pricey buts looks very nice and its available in black or white.

Habitat did have a sale on last week when it was £260, couldn't buy it as my flat is still being built and I can't store it. Does anyone know if Habitat deliver or do you take it away from the shop??

willo said:
I'm looking for the same thing as well, there was one I saw in Habitat (might be the same one as the others are talking about). I can't link it due to there website but if you go to Products> Audio/Video Storage> Audio/Video Furniture its called Memphis and its £329, its pricey buts looks very nice and its available in black or white.

Habitat did have a sale on last week when it was £260, couldn't buy it as my flat is still being built and I can't store it. Does anyone know if Habitat deliver or do you take it away from the shop??

I got the Memphis, but not got round to assembling it.
They delivered it for an extra 30 quid i think.

I also have a £900 Bo Concept cabinet which I have modified by removing the back.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229789

willo said:

yes, I saw the memphis. a bit wide for my flat I think, and I was hoping for something with glass doors, so I can use it without the doors having to be open. thanks for the ideas though.

dave

JayList said:
Looking for the same thing, saw this on dealtime.

http://www.stagfurniture.com/product/142/55

And some good stuff here.

http://www.elegantfurniture.co.uk/tv_cabinets.php3

I am looking for cherry wood with doors. As I have two little uns ready to trash my AV.

hmm.. not so keen on the first link but the secondf link has some nice things on it.

I think I might also talk to a local carpenter and ask how much it would cost to actually just make something. I wonder what simple cable management solutions he could put in...

dave

dave

The unit I got from Habitat was called Barello.

If you search for Barello on their website it brings up their computer desk. The TV unit looks the same but only half size with a door like the top of the unit.

Might be worth giving them a call.

Try the guy`s at http://www.intekvcf.co.uk/ they make allsorts of bespoke stuff
i`m having an av cabinet made for £350 to match our existing furniture, have a look at what they do on the web site :smashin:

Hey fyonn,I see your location is Manchester.I had problems finding one to fit my gaer in.Multiyork had some great cabinets but they were much too expensive for me so I took a brochure to a bloke in Hyde and asked could he make one for me.He came up with this-

http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc005060ot.jpg.

He made it to my measurements and stained it exactly how I wanted it.
Well pleased with it,it seems well built and I cant fault it.It did take 6 weeks though.

click the link in my sig.

really plain, from ikea.

and while ur there help me out with my choice!

sky box out? or harmon kardon amp out? or everything hidden?????

madcyril said:
Hey fyonn,I see your location is Manchester.I had problems finding one to fit my gaer in.Multiyork had some great cabinets but they were much too expensive for me so I took a brochure to a bloke in Hyde and asked could he make one for me.

I'm now doing the same thing, my gf's father is a carpenter and we're planning to put together a nice cabinet for me :)

dave

Do you have a link for the x-brace?

Fyonn,

I got my cabinet from Jali.co.uk

It's MDF but the prices are very good and you can specify the overall dimensions and internal shelf heights etc. If you look at my pics on the 'home cinema DIY' topic you will see my cupboard.

I don't like to see the kit when I am watching a movie so I keep the doors shut
and operate all my kit via infrared remote into my philips infrared extender which you can see under the plinth in the photos.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Dragging an old thread up here, but can anyone who has the Habitat Memphis unit possibly measure the size of the middle sections? I have been to Habitat in Leeds but they do not have one in stock and i want to see if i can fit my Sky box, DVD player and Yamaha amp within the central area.

Many thanks :)

Barney,

Good choice. I was looking at the Memphis some time ago, but it was 5 cm too long for my wall :(

I know the Solihull store have it on display. Give them a call and ask them to measure it - 0121 733 2579 (usually v. helpful).

RB

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom