• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cabinet ventilation

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Looking for suggestions here. Have a Besta cabinet which like many has a few cubby holes with enclosed spaces to put hot electronics equipment in that I’d like to keep cool. I may also want/need to put doors on the front soon to better hide the equipment (or at least thats what I’m being told..) So I’m looking for options

AC Infinity seems like a simple enough system. Build in 1 or more fans, and either have them manually controlled with a few speed steps, or triggered by a simple thermostatic probe, or a more advanced probe with speed control.

But I’m hesitating as to whether to try and build out something of my own from components so I can choose my own fans. Has anyone tried this? Eg I’m thinking something like one or two Noctua 5v 120mm fans, either connected directly to the AC Infinity smart controller (if it controls the speed of the Noctua fans ok), or the simpler thermostatic trigger which just switches on/off, combined with the Noctua FC1 fan controller. Although noctua should be quieter than AC Infinity, I still want speed control as I doubt I’ll need to run them full speed so would like to balance vs any noise they might have.

Has anyone specifically tried pairing the AC infinity smart controllers with Noctua fans? And how many would you recommend for a Besta cube (60cm x 38cm). I’m only planning to have 1 item per cube - PS5 in one and XSX in another. if one 120mm is enough that’d be great to keep the cost down

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Take the back off

lol will that do it? I‘m a little worried about lack of front airflow but if I prop the doors open a bit (with push latches for instance) should that be ok? Convection and the exhaust fans on the consoles will deal with it?

John

Admittedly I dont have a lot of kit in mine. Amp , SkyQ , Xbox. Harmony hub and a couple of other bits and Bob's. But I run them for as long as the TV is on
Had doors on since I bought it , used a hole saw to cut holes in the bottom and in shelves to aid airflow and took the back off when I got nervous.
Never had any issues. Except dust. Lots of it

tajl2

Novice Member
Looking for suggestions here. Have a Besta cabinet which like many has a few cubby holes with enclosed spaces to put hot electronics equipment in that I’d like to keep cool. I may also want/need to put doors on the front soon to better hide the equipment (or at least thats what I’m being told..) So I’m looking for options AC Infinity seems like a simple enough system. Build in 1 or more fans, and either have them manually controlled with a few speed steps, or triggered by a simple thermostatic probe, or a more advanced probe with speed control. But I’m hesitating as to whether to try and build out something of my own from components so I can choose my own fans. Has anyone tried this? Eg I’m thinking something like one or two Noctua 5v 120mm fans, either connected directly to the AC Infinity smart controller (if it controls the speed of the Noctua fans ok), or the simpler thermostatic trigger which just switches on/off, combined with the Noctua FC1 fan controller. Although noctua should be quieter than AC Infinity, I still want speed control as I doubt I’ll need to run them full speed so would like to balance vs any noise they might have. Has anyone specifically tried pairing the AC infinity smart controllers with Noctua fans? And how many would you recommend for a Besta cube (60cm x 38cm). I’m only planning to have 1 item per cube - PS5 in one and XSX in another. if one 120mm is enough that’d be great to keep the cost down

@richard plumb did you ever find an answer? I'm hoping to do the same thing with temperature-controlled Noctua fans, but can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how you got on?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
@richard plumb did you ever find an answer? I'm hoping to do the same thing with temperature-controlled Noctua fans, but can't seem to find the answer anywhere. I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how you got on?

i bought the simple on/off AirPower setup, but in the end replaced with two noctua USB powered 5v fans. And a noctua fan controller that sits in-line. Just powered from the rear USB on the Ps5 so they’re on whenever the ps5 is on

use the speed controller to set them slow enough to be quiet and it keeps things nice and cool. If I wanted I could have added an AirPower temperature sensor to act as an on/off switch but it’s quiet enough that I didn’t bother

fans are screwed to the thin back panel after cutting out a couple of holes the right size

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom