Cabinet Cooling

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by gdickin2, Feb 4, 2003.

1. gdickin2

gdickin2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All of my AV gear is in a cabinet with a drop down door. The cabinet is solid wood all round save for a few holes at the back for passing cables throug. Obviously it gets hot enough to grill Bacon when all the gear is on and working so I am looking for a solution to provide some cooling (other than leaving the door open) and thought of screwing a fan to the back over the vent holes to suck the hot air out. Any views and suggestions on fans to get and where from ?. Must be quiet but size isn't a major issue.

2. catrevilla

catrevilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cat here,

Go to your nearest electronic or computer store, where they sell electronic equipment parts or computer hardware. They sell AC/DC fans, so it's not that complicated, I suggest you buy a AC fan. Those fans for computers are silent, since they specially designed for mainframe comps, and they sell them from various diameters, from 2" to 10." You can order one of those from that store, and problem solved. The only thing you need to do is just plug and play to the nearest wall connector.

You want to make it a little more sophisticated, and you know your electronics, I suggest that once having the fan, you built on it an automatic on/off switch. This switch consists of an electronic circuit that controls the phasing of the AC using a TRIAC, which is that controls the phasing of the AC so it can vary the speed of the fan. At the same time, this TRIAC is going to be controled by a thermistor (temperature sensor) and an 741 operational amp. If you're interested, I can send you a schematic and the construction details of this controller so you can use it in your gear cabinet.

Just say the word, as always, at your orders ;)

Cheers,

Cat

3. Cheng

Cheng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Use PC cooling fans. Available from any pc shop, but cheap from overclock.co.uk

If you want quiet go for a big 120mm fan, if you want about 1/2 the nosie and 1/2 the air you can 7 volt the fans (rearrange wires), so they spin slower and quieter.

4. gdickin2

gdickin2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies folks.
    Cat - I would appreciate if you can send me the circuit you mention as I like the idea of the auto on/off :smashin:

Regards
    Gary

5. catrevilla

catrevilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cat here,

cool, PM me your e-mail so I can send it to you

Cheers

Cat

6. gdickin2

gdickin2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cat
    There is a PM in your mailbox.

Gary.

7. PeteCIS

PeteCIS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm also interested and will send a PM with my e-mail. Hopefully you will get the request.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  9. DLoAZ

DLoAZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cat,

I would love to get a schematic for this. It'll save me the trouble of spec'ing it myself. If you have it scanned, you can send it to me via e-mail.

DLo

10. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    DLo, it appears that catrevilla is no longer a registered member :confused:

11. cat

cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    received a PM this morning - just to clarify I'm not THAT 'cat' :rotfl: I have absolutely no idea what a schematic is ;)

12. UnicronI

UnicronI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be possable to put a fan inside the amp? not nothing anything bout the internals of this stuff, i would'nt iamgne how though?

13. lapino

lapino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Old thread, but could use the info. Can anyone post a list of what I need + a schematic how to assemble this? Need to provide cooling in my TV cabinet too.