1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cabaret - 1972

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by raigraphixs, Jan 27, 2003.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,247
    HI,

I got this over the weekend, never see it before so thought looks interesting. Its a special edition R1. I only tried it on for a few minutes, BUT the picture quaility is awful, the noise is the size of hail stones!. Why do companies release films in a poor state. Its a shame all old films are not restored first, as much older films like gone with the wind, etc, look brillant against some films made in the 70s/80s.

rai

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Should of got it on R2. Picture is fine, while not perfect.

3. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Cabaret is a great film. Most just remember or go on about the Kit Kat nightclub dance scenes but it deals with much more; ranging from issues of class, race and gender and sexuality in pre-war Berlin. For example the scenes with the Hitler Youth rallying 'common' German folk in nationalist pride at a picnic and Nazi party propagandarist fugs at the nightclub are superbly painful. And the issue of race (namely Jew vs. German) and class and how it can affect your pulling power! This film has oodles of wit mixed in with the shocking reality of social/sexual racisms/mores. Oh and the night club routines are to die for:D
    It's a sort of pre-dance version to Schindlers list. And if you think I'm being overly flipant; watch the film and prepare to be shocked at the 'entertaining' social underbelly which aided the view that Jews represented an underclass set for extermination.
    Though to most it's just boy meets girl, or the reverse, with some fun musical numbers. Whatever.

4. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    "Tomorrow belongs to me", still bothers me. Very scarey, when you consider the background history.