1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CA system but what speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by OldSkoO1, Sep 9, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi all,

Need a little advice. I think i'm going to buy a Cambridge Audio Stero Amp plus their CD player. It seems to give good reviews and i'm pretty confident its a good choice. Our living room is medium sized but we are semi-detatched and the kids room is above the living room. Its box shaped and wooden floors so we can't play things too loud. Hence a ARCAM amp setup would be wasted for now.

If the CA system is suffice what speakers would match it? I was looking at B&W 603 S3's (i think?) then i saw the wharfdale 9.1's which are quite cheap so i'm not sure how good they are. Intially i'm after something that doesn't colour the sound, i want a good level of transparency providing the CA system is good enought in that respect.

Any help, grately appreciated!

TIA

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    Wharfedale would be a good choice- I'd tentatively place Monitor Audio and Epos ahead of them but I'm sure you'd be happy with the wharfedales. The B&W's are good speakers but my general rule of thumb with them is that they need an amp that costs more than they do (until the very high end at least) to get the best from them.

3. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks very much!

Is the CA stuff worth it though? Does it colour the sound? I only thought of it initially because it got a good review but i wanted transparency to my music and ARCAM seemed the best withing my budget; but its just too loud at the moment for that room (not too great at low volumes neither) :(

On a side note : I do want something that i can hook up to my home cinema jobbie. Hopefully i can somehow figure out how to hook the 2 speakers into the front left / right channels of my denon 500sd. :s

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,311
    I work for the company that owns CA so their "worth" isn't something I really feel I want to comment on! All of the range are slightly warm side of neutral but nothing that couldn't be ironed out with a sensible speaker choice.

5. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks again for your help :) and i appreciate your honesty and info on the CA stuff; i can live with slightly warm.

I've met a few people on demo-ing kit that have a massive wrath of knowledge/ people who work in this business for ages. Some seem very genuine and know exactly what is good and what isn't. I know the system i'd like to have but i just can't have music at any significant volumes.

I've read reviews on CA stuff and its highly rated for the cost. All's i'm concerned about is if its still good quality at lower volumes, something i found odd about the ARCAM.