ca i wire tri wire speakers to a bi wire amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gbmitie, Mar 21, 2006.

1. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Is it possible to wire speakers that were tri wire to a bi wire amp in other words can I just join the low frequency wires together? Its a technics tuner amp but the latest version is bi wire.

thanks

gbmitie

2. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Generally the response would be - yes you could, but probably not worth bothering (it's hard to see why bi- let alone tri- wiring should make an audible difference). On most speakers you could just make a wire link between say the bass and mid-bass terminal on a speaker.

That said, IIRC technics did some all-in-one systems that came with tri-wire speakers, and technics may have done something unusual/clever with the crossovers in the systems? If that's the case, your best bet's probably to ask technics how it should all be wired up :D

3. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    thanks for reply and yes I have the technics that has a tri wire tuner amp so 3 pairs to each speaker!! I had it set up with a sub woofer but now the tuner amp does not recognise the sub, I want to buy the latest version(no speakers) and yes it is bi wire. When I find a link for technics I will email them. Why they used that tri wire is beyond me.

gbmitie

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    tbh, I'd look at getting the technics hifi that you've already got working first, unless the newer technics has extra features that you need - when you say it no longer recognises the sub, can you be more specific? Normally amps don't need to recognise a sub - maybe a problem with the sub itself?

Googling 'technics' brings up a couple of European websites...not sure off-hand where you'd find support, but sure you can work it out ;) You could also try asking the company you're planning on buying the new technics from?

5. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    jon, i am as puzzled as you. Basically the sub is active ie own power supply, u plug it into the tuner amp socket and a little icon of the extra speaker appears on the display. The dsiplay is currently showing the 3 surround speakers and the 2 main.Then when sub is working the green light comes on. There is also a button that boosts the bass in the front speakers and the sub, it goes mid, max, off. I pressed that as well and no luck. I changed the sub lead and again no joy. I also put my finger on the lead to the sub and it activated straight away. I am going to try all the leads again today from scratch. This system has a few tricks like jog wheel, a1, soundstages, center focus, etc etc. I keep thinking I have pressed a wrong button but I doubt it. All I know is my other half played a dvd with dubious origins, it actually playedm but wonder if it buggered the software. I ahve emailed technics about the wiring. I was working on the priniple if I can buy the same system for 100 without speakers then as i am so remote that would be cheaper than repair.

I keep sub on standby all the time. I will switch off for a few hours, may reset itself.

any ideas to try gratefully accepted.

I have a sub woofer on a pc but dont know if I can use that, different lead I think.

gbmitie

6. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    sounds peculiar - maybe the technics has got some proprietary way of working with it's sub as well? I'd imagine there would be a way of getting another sub to work with it, but how well this works would depend on what frequencies the technics is trying to output to the sub/speakers. One other thing to bear in mind is that - if the technics does work in a different/proprietary way - if you replace the technics and the sub or speakers go you may have limited choices re. what to replace these with :(

I wouldn't suggest you pay much to have it repaired, but if pushing on the sub lead gets the technics to recognise the sub that suggests a loose connection - does holding one of the connectors to the sub in help? This may be something you could fix by taping a connector firmly into place - very cheap repair :D

7. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    i am waiting until i am alone at 4.00pm today and will give it one final go. i will try to get inside as well where the sub connection is but it has all these security screws that i may have hassle opening.

thanks for replies will let u know result out of interest.

gb--

8. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good luck :D Take care if you are looking inside the sub/hifi - and maybe worth trying just holding the connection firmly in place before you do open it up... Oh yeah, and if you haven't unplugged both the sub and main hifi, that'd be worth a try as well.

Let me know what the result is...

9. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    i tried everything and failed. i have given up and switched the sub off so i dont have that red light bugging me.

no response from technics so i am not going to chance bi wiring.

i am moving this year so may get a whole new system.

gbmitie

10. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry that didn't work out :(

You technics doesn't have pre-outs or a digital output, by any chance - if so, it may be possible to just add a replacement amp and speakers... Anyway, nothing like a good excuse for an upgrade :D