CA dvd79 firmware upgrade promised

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Akcron, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just read this on the Cambridge Audio forum, dont think its been posted here yet? :thumbsup:
    Come on guys, give us a break! I am surprised that a few of you really don't believe in our ability or willingness to sort things out for our customers and to deliver you better products. Since Skourip made the first post here we have looked into the firmware issue and WILL issue a firmware upgrade soon, i.e. in around 2 weeks. We have been in touch with Skourip and he will be testing the new firmware before we release it, hopefully within the next week. Our DVD Product Manager always welcomes feedback, especially when someone pops up who seems to know more than him! We're grateful for Skourip's help. Feedback and contribution from owners of our product is the whole reason for this forum. We're the only ones I know with the guts to do it because we're convinced you will contribute to us making better products. We're going to make the odd mistake, even the japanese with hundreds of engineers do, the important thing I think for all of you is that we fix a problem as fast as we can and don't just hide because we've already made the sale. Things like upgrades to DVD Players can't happen overnight so please don't jump up and down because after a days of a post here we haven't done anything.

Yours,

James Johnson-Flint
    Chief Executive, Cambridge Audio Ltd.

looks like i wont have to do the oppo firmware fix :thumbsup:

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    How long can it take to "de-oppo-ise" the Oppo firmware release? :devil:

3. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    HEHEHEHEEHEH :D

4. LostToys

LostToys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    obviously longer than one would expect.

5. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those who might be interested I have received the new firmware and I am in the process of testing it. From a first look it does appear to be improved in certain respects.

6. ezekuel

ezekuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know when it will be released? I am really waiting for this firmware.

And do you know why CA have closed down their forums?

7. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ezekuel

I am not sure why the forums are down but I will ask. The date of the firmware release will depend on the problems I may find and if they will be fixing those before the release. As soon as I have a date I will post it here.

8. ezekuel

ezekuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks skourip!

You`r doing a great job for all of us DVD79 owners. And a big thank you for keeping us informed about the progress.

9. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ezekuel

I really believe that by the end of this we will have a DVD79 which compares favorably with the oppo which is no small feat. I still think that the oppo is a tough player to beat at the price despite the latest review at audioholics which is the first which attempts to deflate the hype around the player. Its strange they rated the oppo 3.5 stars which from reading the review is unjustified in my opinion( http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/oppoDV971Hdvdplayer1.php ). They put equal weight in their rating for the remote the user interface and the image quality among other things!! Ultimately a DVD player is for producing a great image and I think that justifies more weight than the quality of the remote. They even recommend the Samsung H950 in their 3K system a player they haven’t even reviewed and one which has serious image quality issues which I have seen when I tested that player and similar findings were reported by Cnet ( http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_DVD_HD950/4505-6473_7-31413619.html ). It is interesting that they are also attempting a replication of the DVD Benchmark in a more thorough version. Its going to be interesting to watch this as they add more players which do not cost three times the cost of the oppo.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_DVD_HD950/4505-6473_7-31413619.html

Paris

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    That audioholics review is seriously pants.

This player looks like 30 quid supermarket special, has a remote which you'd happily toss onto the bonfire to improve its looks, and has component output which sucks more than a bulldog chewing a wasp. BUT WE DON'T CARE! THE DVI OUTPUT IS FANTASTIC!

...PJ :D

PS good luck with the CA - have they changed the menu font to Arial too?! ;)

11. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the menu is completely different than the oppo's??????

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    :confused: Is it? I've owned both and they looked similar to me from memory! Even the screen saver!...PJ

13. Akcron

Akcron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    for the news Skourip ive enjoyed reading your posts on the CA forum keep it up.Akky :thumbsup:

14. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJTX100
    You are correct the original menu was the same as well as the screensaver. I meant the new one is different.

15. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Akcron

16. kusti

kusti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the reply i received when I asked about the CA forums..

I hope the new firmware fixes the issue with Scarface dvd.. Btw, I also liked your posts skourip

17. skourip

skourip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kusti?
    Was that a reply from CA?

18. kusti

kusti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that was from CA. The e-mail was from [email protected]

Is it ok to post someone's e-mail address here?

19. zane9

zane9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I look at the Cambridge site now, I cannot find any link from which CA can be emailed! Closing the forums was a short-sighted move, and CA will be perceived as an unresponsive-to-customers company.

Jason
    Canada

20. ezekuel

ezekuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is the firmware looking skourip? Do you think it will be relased to us soon?

21. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,008
    Just like the vast majority of UK manufacturers who don't operate forums then..................... As the email address mentioned earlier is mine and the quote in the email can be attributed to me, I'm not sure what else needs to be said. The forum used as a problem dumping area with little attempt by most users to email as requested. Coupled with the fact that as stated one "user" was actually a representative of another company and the fact it took inordinate amounts of time to moderate- we now know why our competitors don't bother.

The other issue is the fact that we need our distributors to assist us because of the massive variation in useage and software across the globe. Your first port of call should always be the regional distributor as it will ultimately be them who assists you in one way or another.

22. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, all. :)

One of your lurker-posters here. ;) LOL

As a user of the CA forums, it is a shame that they closed recently, although given the volume of ‘complaining’ posts, I would say with hindsight that I am not surprised. I can understand some customers’ concerns or complaints about certain aspects, but many of the posts were simply unfair – and, in my opinion, quite rude, lending the forums to have an overly negative air.

From my experience a few years ago of teaching secondary school pupils about the Internet, one of the key rules we set out was that one’s behaviour online should, really, be the same as if you were meeting the same person(s) in private or public. I can only assume that because the Internet was either not in domestic use or indeed did not even exist when some users were at school, many did not realise that there should not be any real difference between one’s behaviour online or in person. I really could not imagine saying to a Cambridge Audio employee’s face: “Why aren’t you doing this…? This isn’t good enough… I’m going to buy brand X instead because of this…” However, despite the ‘remoteness’ at times of the Internet, that does not really mean I should instead post comments like those. If I could not say certain things to a CA employee’s face, I could not put them online or send them in an e-mail.

Regarding the issue of support, in the UK at least, the onus is on the retailer and/or distributor to provide support. The manufacturer can choose to offer direct support or even service, too, to customers as a goodwill gesture, but that is not a legal requirement the last time I checked.

Without sounding out of place (old-fashioned?) – and I am not referring to AV Forums here, which is a nice place :) – I personally think sometimes that a little respect and politeness would not go amiss. I really enjoy the pleasant but challenging atmosphere here on AV Forums, along with the nice servings of smut. ;) hehe Love it! :) I just wish some of those on the CA forums could have been somewhat more thoughtful and appreciative of a manufacturer’s attempts to provide a post-moderated and open forum, which I do not believe anyone else has done before.

Anyway, I’m done now! :)

Regards,

Carl :)

23. ezekuel

ezekuel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any news on the firmware?

I`m really looking forward to this, as you probably understand :)

24. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isn't Richer Sounds / Cambridge Audio the same company?

When I asked the salesman in the shop if the DVI output would work with my Sagem Axium as it doesn't properly implement HDCP it went something like:

Salesman - yes of course, this is the latest technology.
    Me - so the DVI connection will definately work with my Sagem - DVI/upscaling is my only reason for buying this player
    Salesman - Yes the DVI will work with all TVs - this is the latest technology.
    Me - Even TVs that don't have a DVI socket.
    Salesman - Yes.

The shop manager didn't know any more than he did, so I wouldn't trust them to rewrite my firmware ;-)

When I discovered the firmware problem, I contacted CA who eventually got back to me and told me to go to the retailer, who blamed my TV for the problem!

I had more important things to do at the time so I never got around to chasing up the problem, but I cannot believe that almost a year on there is STILL not a firmware upgrade - what are these guys doing?

For one thing, didn't they test these players with a variety of disks before mass producing the boogers????

Impressive picture (better than my 5 year old Arcam, though it doesn't have progressive scan) doesn't make up for a lag on some disks that makes you feel like you are watching badly dubbed TV, in my opinion the player isn't fit for the purpose it was intended - after all I've seen 20 quid players that don't have lipsync issues.

If Oppo can sort it out, how come CA can't? If their engineers really are so imcompent that they can't sort the problems out, then why don't they simply offer Oppo some cash to sort it out for them - maybe then they will salvage some of their previously good reputation?

It's a shame because the DVD79 is a potentially fantastic bit of kit let down entirely by this glaring bug.

It's understandable that some people come over as being unreasonable when they spend £200 for a DVD player (quite a premium these days) with such a major flaw, and a company who seem unable/unwilling to put it right.

There is a thread on www.bigdebate.co.uk about how Britain has lost all it's industry - this is a perfect example of why we lost it!

25. Carl Stock

Carl Stock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, johnsagem. :)

I can understand the problems you are experiencing, even though I do not have the DVD79.

To answer your first question, Richer Sounds and Cambridge Audio are not the same company; nor does Richer Sounds own Cambridge Audio. Audio Partnership plc, formed in 1994, owns Cambridge Audio, Mordaunt-Short, etc. Audio Partnership was formed with help from the sole owner of Richer Sounds plc, Julian Richer, but Richer Sounds plc or Julian Richer do not run it. Richer Sounds is the exclusive UK distributor of Cambridge Audio products but not Mordaunt-Short products, which are available elsewhere – for example, Comet. In other countries, other companies distribute Audio Partnership products (Cambridge Audio, Mordaunt-Short, etc.).

I know it must be frustrating, but I am sure Cambridge Audio will resolve this. These particular issues may be a problem for many users, and I very much doubt Cambridge Audio will leave them as they are.

Regards,

Carl :)

26. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Carl,

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm just worried that they no longer seem to sell the player, Id hate for the problem to be swept under the carpet!

Even if they cant fix all the problems at once, I'd like to have seen at least an interim firmware update posted on their website to let us know they are at least working on it. What have they been doing for 11 months?

I bought the player in January hoping it would at least serve me 2 or 3 years, but I'm so frustrated with it I'm thinking of replacing it already - if that is the case then I certainly wont be recommending CA or RS anymore!

27. kusti

kusti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any news? Give us something :lease: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

28. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,008
  29. johnsagem

johnsagem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :clap: Excellent! That's made a HUGE difference to a couple of troublesome DVDs I've tried so far. Thanks for that. Maybe I will continue to buy Cambridge Audio products in future after all ... the music server looks good :)

One question - I've got it hooked up to a Sagem Axium 50 via the DVI socket.

On static menus, Bewitched Region 2 for example, the image looks really well defined for a couple of seconds then turns really jaggy. I've tried in 520p, 720p, 1080i, I've made sure it's set to PAL, I've turned Truelife and CSC on and off (not quite sure what they do?), I've tried all the options of sharpness.

No biggy, but I'm just wondering if I've set something incorrectly, or perhaps the TV needs it's firmware updated?

Thanks again for the new firmware!