1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CA Azur 540r question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by agroupuk, Jul 20, 2004.

1. agroupuk

agroupuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

If I give my present system specs could someone let me know if this amp is capable enough?.... thanks.

I currently (still) run a Yamaha DSPA1092 amp with (soon to be) 5 M&K K5's and a M&K VF75 sub.

My sky box, 2 dvd players and a video recorder are all connected through this (I have one UK and one USA DVD) all this then routes into the monitor in of my TV 41" Tosh WideScreen and also to my NEC Projector.

I play music as well as watch TV/Films on my system but have a very limited budget for an amp.

The 540r looks to fit the bill nicely but I have seen a comment or two that might put me off... such as - someone posted they couldn't get a sub signal out when in stereo mode - which with the K5's is needed... dunno if this is true or not..

Any way - if anyone cares to comment from experience or just knows better than me - please post :)

Cheers!

Edd :lease:

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played with one for a couple of hours last month (was using it to compare DVD and CD players in a store) and I got sub output with the stereo setting when the speakers were set to SMALL. I didn't try the speakers set to LARGE as I wasn't evaluating the receiver for purchase but I've never seen a receiver that wouldn't let you use your sub with stereo, regardless of LARGE or SMALL setting of mains. If you are using the multichannel analogue input, then you might not get a sub signal, depending on the source of the multichannel inputs (DVD player might not give sub signal out through analogue path with stereo material, for example).

3. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Suppose in DIRECT mode it will not output sub signals?
    Barend

4. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is correct. The exception to this is if the player can do 2.1 within its settings. The Denon 2200, 2900 and 5900 can do this, as well as the Cambridge Audio 540D. I have that one, so I can say for certain that if you set the speakers to SMALL in the player and put a CD in, it will send a signal out throught the sub output to the receiver, so that even in direct mode, your receiver will send a signal to the sub. However, a regular two channel CD player will not send a signal to your sub in direct mode.

5. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't own this amp, but I like it- 6.1 is not really a prob IMO unless you want to biamp your fronts- since mostly the BS channels are virtual and identical anyway.
    Only the competition is getting stronger- look at the Yamaha RX-V2400 RDS that costs less than 900 Euro's in Germany!
    Barend