CA Azur 540D does not remember where it last stopped

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deman77, Oct 25, 2004.

1. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I come to my problem I want give my impressions of this DVD player.

I upgraded my Tosh 210e to 540D 3 weeks ago because my RS buyback was due.

It's very nicely built and comes in black which counts for 30% of my score. I can't stand cheap feeling things.

However, pq-wise and I can't see the difference. And no I am not blind because I can see the difference between RGB signal from SKY with sync and without. The Azur is connected through VanDamme component cables to panny D6. Panning shots are still jerky and chroma is all there. Also I cannot see the difference when switching between interlaced and progressive (I guess panny's deinterlacer is just as good as the Azur's one). The picture is still good but I wasn't blown away when I put it on. I have to say that the noise is virtually non-existent. When sitting 10ft away I can crank up the sharpness on both panny and the player all the way up and I don't see any noise.

My gf says the colours are better but I think she just wants me to stop trying to spend more money by getting smth else.

I don't play any CDs so no comments here.

Small things: Tosh would start up no matter which button you press on it. For me the usual button to start it up was Eject. With Azur you have to put it on using Power button (wait about 3-5 sec till it starts up) and only then you can open the tray.

It never remembers where I stopped whatching last disc. Always starts from the beginning. Which brings me to the reason why I'm writing. I do not exclude the possibility that I am just being stupid here so I'd appreciate if anyone could let me know how to deal with this. :confused:

All in all I think it's a good player with the build quality being the main plus and no unpleasant surprises in picture department. Having got it in exchange for my old stuff I think it's quite nice but I'd never pay 200 quid cash for it. I just don't see 120 worth of difference from pio 470. If you are interested in CD playback and DVD audio you will probably find more advantages but I use it as a DVD player.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    Fair comments and some of them I can agree with. The fact that the player doesn't remember where it left off is (for me at least) a boon as I would count it as "feature most likely to drive me into an apoplectice rage" in my day to day life.

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Tons. at least that would put my mind at rest.

just used the useful A-B feature to check panny deinterlacer against the CA one.
    The scene is from Gladiator where chariots are coming out. The horses have red feathers on their heads and you can really test the chroma bug when they are moving. I was looking from about 4 feet away

With PScan on (CA deinterlacer used) the feathers are just a stack of horizontal red lines and are really edgy

With IScan on (Panny deinterlacer used) no such problem.

Will try to test on other stuff and let know.