CA Azur 540 Denon 1920: direct 6.1 in or opt?

gm0x45

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a Denon 1920 connected to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R, and I always thought that a 6.1 in direct connection was better than using the decoder inside the amplifier via optical. But I tried the optical link last night and it was much better, louder and slightly clearer, especially the centre speaker. Because this last setting is better for my ears, I'm going to keep it, but I'm a bit disappointed as I spend some money on coax cables between the DVD player and the amplifier for nothing. Am i wrong as opt will be always better than direct analog? The denon DTS/Dolby decoder is worse than the one of the amplifer? Thanks for your feedback.

S

skinnyfat

Hi there

Keep both methods connected. If you want to listen to DVD-A or SACD you will need the 6.1 connections:)

gm0x45

Standard Member
Of course, the direct in concerned more the DVDA and SACD rather than movies DVD. I was a bit puzzled. Thanks again

A

alphabet

I also have the CA 540R, but with a CA DVD79 and have tried both methods in an attempt to see if the decoder in the DVD player was better than the one in the receiver.

Personally I prefer the sound when using the reciever's decoders and I only use 6.1 for DVD-A

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom