CA 640r - problem with changing PL11 settings.

Dave E

Hello

Wonder if anyone has come across this before on the 640r or any other amp...

The problem is switching between pro logic modes across different inputs. The amp is supposed to remember each inputs settings individually....

There are 10 sub-categories of PL11. 4 PCM modes, 2 NEO6 modes, and 4 DSP modes. Not sure of the technicalities to be honest.

If I set the 'Video1' input to "PCM PL11-Movie", then cycle through the inputs, it remembers it fine. But if I then go to 'CD' input and cycle through the modes using the PL11 button to "DSP Music" then it will have changed the Video1 settings the next time I return to it.

Surely it shouldn't do that? I presumed it was altering it based on the number of presses I did, but it always seems to default 'Video1' back to "PCM Game", and 'CD' back to "DSP HALL"

I've tried everything I can think of, including reading the manual cover to cover. Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

Dave
:thumbsup:

chapeau

What's your video1 connected to? I've noticed that if something sends, for example, a non-stereo (eg Dolby 3/2) stream then the 640R will automatically switch from the previously stored PLII to Dolby 3/2, then remember that.

dante01

Distinguished Member
What's your video1 connected to? I've noticed that if something sends, for example, a non-stereo (eg Dolby 3/2) stream then the 640R will automatically switch from the previously stored PLII to Dolby 3/2, then remember that.

Most AV amps priorities discrete audio over matrixed surround effects, but they usually revert back to their previous state and settings once the discrete audio is no longer present. The discrete setting doesn't stick, it simply overrides the other settings while discrete audio encoded material is being played.

If experiencing problems with this, check the amps settings for auto detection of audio flags (if present). Altering the setting could result in different behaviour?

Last edited:

Dave E

Hi

Thanks for the replies. Video 1 is Sky+ (non-HD), and CD is Squeezebox. So both Stereo so far as I know... If I have CD set to Stereo, obviously it is fine, but i like to listen to music in 5ch mode a fair bit, so I use the DSP mode Music.

It is wierd - seems no matter how many 'cycles' I go through on the CD setting it will always revert the Video1 back to 'Game'. To be fair Game sounds OK, and I'm not sure if it sounds any different to Movie, but... just doesn't seem right...

Surely should treat each input separately...

:hiya:

chapeau

I haven't been able to reproduce your specific observations.

The manual says

Pro Logic/Neo/DSP surround modes

Press to select between various Pro Logic II/IIx, DTS Neo:6 effects for
matrix encoded analog or digital material or for post-processing DD/DTS
material (Note: The 640R is unable to auto-detect this kind of source
material as it does not include embedded encoding type flags so
manual selection is required). Also selects various DSP created
surround sound modes for uncoded stereo sources.

but I'm not feeling smart enough right now to work it out.

Dave E

hmmm what its saying is you repeatedly press the PL11 button to scroll through the different sub-options. This is in contrast to the 540r which has a button to select PL11 and another to scroll through the DSP modes.

There is something definately wierdly wrong with it.

If I set both inputs to the same one, say Movie, then go to Video1 and change it to the next mode in the list, by pressing the PL11 button (top left of remote), upon returning to the CD input it has changed in line with it. Do it again, and it changes one randomly to something not even in line with the 'cycle' list.

Its gone crackers, but it is making it almost impossible to live with, as every time I change input I have to scroll through the list to set it up right.

Will look after the footy to see if there is any kind of 'reset' button which i can try, failing that it is under warranty at Richer - wondering if this is a problem large enough to warrant taking it back to them for a look...

:cool:

edit: reset didn't sort it. exactly the same.

Last edited:

Dave E

LOL- yep - typo. Sorry. :cool:

Chapeau, sorry to repeat, but just to confirm so I don't look like an idiot going back to Richer...

If you have Video1 set to PL11 Movie, and Video 2 set to PL11 Game, you can alter one without the other altering, by multiple presses of the PL11 button...

Cheers

Dave
:suicide:

chapeau

Actually I see what you mean now.

When set all my sources to output PCM then changing the PLII processing setting in one input will change it in all inputs. Didn't see it before as the two sources I tried were outputting bitstream which was confusing things a bit.

From reading the manual, it only guarantees to remember the input type i.e Analog or Digital. So I think what you are seeing is by design - good or bad.

Dave E

Thanks so much for checking - at least I won't walk in to a shop and make an arris of myself now.

I think its pretty poor if this is the case, but I'm still not entirely convinced.

As I say, when changing the modes, more often than not it will revert both back to their 'stock' modes of Game and Hall.

I'll live with it if I have to - love the sound of the amp that much. I'll have to see how much Game differs from Movie...

But my 540r V2 would save individual settings for PL11 inputs... as described.

Wonder if they'll release another update? Doubt i now with a V2 enroute...

Anyway, cheers for the help. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom