1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CA 540R Query

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nige-B, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Nige-B

Standard Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:

I'm looking to purchase my first A/V receiver & have already decided on the AE Evo 3B speakers to go with it.

I'm very interested in the Cambridge Audio Azur 540R receiver but have a couple of concerns mainly due to being a complete newbie.

1) The instruction manual that comes with this amplifier appears to be 'thin' compared with most & doesn't seem to explain many of the settings. Are there any 540R owners out there who can comment whether there's enough information for a newbie to get started?

2) Most receivers that I've looked at have come with some form of automated setup for spk delay timings (ie you can put in speaker distances etc). This receiver has no such facility & relies upon you manually setting up timings. Are there any general guidelines for setting delays up or is it a matter of trial and error. Is this likely to be much of a problem?

2. Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Setting speaker distances is a simple matter of using a tape measure from the primary listening position to each speaker and rounding to the nearest available measure offered by the receiver. Setting levels involves a bit more work, using an SPL meter at the primary listening position and either a test disc or the test tones in the receiver. While the automated settings available on some receivers do take less time, they won't necessarily give a better setup overall. As for the 540R having a 'thin' manual, I agree completely. Despite being a very satisfied owner of a CA 540D, if I had a complaint to register it would be regarding the vagueness of the manuals for all their gear.

The 540R also has a fixed crossover point of 80 hz, so if you speakers (I'm not familiar with them) do not at least extend to that frequency, you might not get full potential from them with the 540R. Don't get me wrong, I've heard the 540R with appropriate speakers and it was a phenomenal receiver. But if it were paired with the sat/sub set in my secondary system, the 80 hz crossover would prove problematic (my sat/sub system works best at 150hz crossover). If your speakers can live with the 80hz crossover AND you're prepared to learn how to use an SPL meter, then the 540R deserves a serious audition, IMO.