• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

C8: Rakuten app inconsistent HDR black levels

StephanW

Novice Member
Hi everyone!
I am experiencing elevated black levels on some but not all of the HDR UHD releases on the Rakuten app for my C8 oled. I have some confidence in my settings, though in-app hdr doesn't allow for a lot of tinkering anyway. Regardless, I switched through some of the preset picture modes and I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a mastering/conversion issue with the actual releases. Can someone confirm these issues? Two of the movies I'm having them with are Godzilla - King of the Monsters and 2001 Space Odyssey (I know, quite a range...).

Would love to hear some thoughts/confirmation/solutions
Cheers!

lemonhead

Established Member
I also had a couple of HDR films with Rakuten that had washed out black levels, Game Night & Annabelle Comes Home.

I flagged both up to Rakuten, but they just said thanks for the feedback.

I no longer rent or buy films from Rakuten.

StephanW

Novice Member
I also had a couple of HDR films with Rakuten that had washed out black levels, Game Night & Annabelle Comes Home.

I flagged both up to Rakuten, but they just said thanks for the feedback.

I no longer rent or buy films from Rakuten.
Thank you for confirming! I did write to my local Rakuten service, but I also don't expect any changes. Any recommendations on alternatives you trust? Since Amazon Prime is a desaster in itself...

lemonhead

Established Member
I use an Apple TV 4k box & I'm really pleased with it. I have approx 300 HDR/DV films purchased via ITUNES & have had no issues with HDR or DV quality.

To be fair to Rakuten though, if I did have any issues I'm pretty sure Apple customer support would also be lacking.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom