Question C6 to C8 ?

jrl

Established Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 55LG C6 , had it about two years now , love it, had no issues with banding or tints
Nor any image retention , and the 3D is amazing,can anybody tell me if the C8 would be an upgrade or would there not be much difference picture wise ?
I know there would be no 3D , and I would be keeping the C6 for use in another room
I’m a bit ocd with technology, and I’m trying to reign myself in(if possible )
Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat with a B6, being as I can get a 65B8 for the same as I paid for my 55B6, but am going to wait for the B9 or B10 when HDMI 2.1 should be available and the ancillaries to support it also being available.

I realise that does not answer your question, but I think my next change needs to be when major steps are released.

Last edited:
Thanks Fred , I just don’t know if the difference from c6 to C8 is enough to justify a new TV ,reading the “specs “ doesn’t tell me

Well as Steve Withers purchased a B7 last year and the 65C8 is the forums reference set this year, it would appear it is better, but I can't personally justify splashing another £2K in less than two years.

i was going to wait and see what further price reductions there would be
thanks

Thanks Fred , I just don’t know if the difference from c6 to C8 is enough to justify a new TV ,reading the “specs “ doesn’t tell me
No, it’s not in my opinion.
The C7 was a minor upgrade to the C6 and the C8 is yet another minor upgrade mostly comprising of nice to have non essentials some of which haven’t been properly implemented yet like the smooth gradation feature being bundled with noise reduction.
The important points in your original post were no banding, no tint and no IR. My C7 is the same and it’s not going anywhere until there is major upgrade.
Overall picture quality is likely to be so close that you won’t tell the difference.
I have no desire to join the panel lottery until I have to, so it will be a C10 at the earliest for me.
If you’re thinking of going to a bigger size, fair enough, but for the same size I’d stick with the C6 if I were you.
Enjoy spending the cash on something else.

If you are going to go bigger to 65 I'd definitely recommend it.
I went from 55C6 to 65C8 and there IS a noticeable picture improvement but the extra size bump makes it even more special.
I wouldn't have bought it though if I didn't want the size upgrade.

Losing 3D is a shame but my C6 has gone in the bedroom so can still view my 3D discs if I wish.

those were the thought's in the back of my mind [ panel lottery ] in particular ,
I think you've helped me decide to stick with the C6 for another year
Thanks

The panel lottery is a factor, you're right.
My C6 was great but had minor yellow tint on the left third and pink on the right third. Didn't really bother me though.

My new C8 has very, very, very slight yellow left and blue right but that changes with seating position. Sitting dead centre and it isn't there. Must be down to the coating they use.
There's also one vertical band that starts on the left edge of the stand and fades as it goes up about eight inches.
Rarely see it but it's there, hoping it'll fade over time.
This wasn't enough for me to go through the rigmarole of sending back.

You have to be VERY lucky to get a perfect panel with OLED. When I was thinking about upgrading the C8 owners thread was full of positive comments on how much better these were and when the prices dropped and the money back scheme was introduced (still waiting for mine) it convinced me to upgrade.

Now though, I would probably have been scared off by the numerous complaints of tinting and banding. The panel lottery is very real and if you get a duff one it is such a huge faff to pack them back up and arrange return.
To be fair, ALL tv technology is a panel lottery. It's just these OLEDs are premium priced so understandably folk are more apprehensive.

On any account, if I don’t see any panel “ problems “ then I don’t have any , ive never gone looking for them with slides etc !
I think I’ll stay with my C6

On any account, if I don’t see any panel “ problems “ then I don’t have any , ive never gone looking for them with slides etc !
I think I’ll stay with my C6

I have a B6 and was tempted by the C8 later in the year when the prices drop, but I don't think its worth it just yet, I'm still super happy with the B6 and I don't think the newer models offer enough to fork out that much cash yet.
With stuff like hdmi 2.1 just around the corner, it seems much wiser to wait.

Other than a few features added to settings menu, a updated processor engine there’s isn’t much in it in terms of picture quality imo. There’s also the ThinQ google assistant implementation for C8 that may or may not influence an upgrade decision.

I don’t own a C8 although I have seen my brothers on several occasions and tbh it looks pretty much identical to my C7 (PQ wise) and the C7 is practically the C6 in different wrap (cosmetically) so..

I am currently bang in the middle of the ‘panel lottery’ and am now on my 3rd C7 Panel replacement which has also turned out to be faulty :( so am now looking at a 4th.

The issues I have had have had variations of banding, tinting etc but the reasons for exchange rested on other issues. Two of my screens had a problem with a large rectangle box shape (looks like a burned in image but apparently is not) in the middle of screen, a 25% window central to the screen. My first panel had this as does my current 3rd panel.

The 2nd panel was bent and the bend had slightly bevelled the screen glass. This otherwise had the best uniformity and overall PQ of all three so far and was sorry to see that one go.

I doubt if my next replacement will be issue free but I’m kinda growing tired of the swapping now and so I am just hoping for an “acceptable” improvement over the current one with the 25% window but also some pretty rough banding & a pinkish hue/tint to white content. All said, I still love this tv, there is simply no other that can display dark moody content the way an oled can. Fingers crossed for Numero Quattro :lesson:

I don’t own a C8 although I have seen my brothers on several occasions and tbh it looks pretty much identical to my C7 (PQ wise) and the C7 is practically the C6 in different wrap (cosmetically) so..

Think you have your models mixed up.

The C7 and B7 are basically the same, different cosmetics.

The C6 was curved with 3D, which neither the B7 or C7 are or have.

That’s really worrying con 100. !

Lol. Yes, the engineer who swaps out the screens says I’m one of the unlucky ones, That there is obviously a small batch that are affected. I thought at the time that this ‘batch’ must have my name already on them ;).

The poor guy can’t be any more apologetic on LGs behalf. I really like my engineer but I also understand that’s a worry:)

Think you have your models mixed up.

The C7 and B7 are basically the same, different cosmetics.

The C6 was curved with 3D, which neither the B7 or C7 are or have.

Yes, your right. I stand corrected. I was thinking B7. Thanks

Been looking again and am now thinking a 65 C8 would be a great upgrade ,previously thought it would be too big !
Problem is at the current price it’s unaffordable for me, does anyone
Think the price will drop again in the not too distant future?

Been looking again and am now thinking a 65 C8 would be a great upgrade ,previously thought it would be too big !
Problem is at the current price it’s unaffordable for me, does anyone
Think the price will drop again in the not too distant future?
Don’t forget the B8 while you’re looking.
It’s £300 cheaper than a 65” C8 from a quick look just now.

Thanks Andrew , I was aware of the B8 but wanted to make the upgrade to the A9 chip and as much updated tech as possible
So I would not feel I was just up sizing, and not much else , although I appreciate the B8 is
Very good

That’s really worrying con 100. !

Just wanted to add to this..@jrl im sorry if my post came off as worrying for you. That wasn’t my intention. I have just been particularly unlucky on this ocassion but I couldn’t speak any higher with regards to how LG have dealt with it..They have been brilliant throughout.

In spite of the issues I have had, the c7 continues to blow any other tv I have seen out of the water. Our friends are regularly in awe come time chill with pizza & movies on this thing. It’s quite startling how good it handles movies.

Thanks Con , I must admit I am wary of panel problems as my C6 has been so good in that respect, although as I said I’ve never looked for issues, with slides or anything else , maybe it does have some irregularities but if it has I’ve never seen any in normal use
I have seen the 65 B7 at less than £2000 ( richer sounds )
But think after the increased size impact wore off I might regret buying it, there are only a few left left ( in store only ) so if I was unlucky and needed a replacement there may not be any ? It’s harder to make a decision too as my C6 has a terrific picture
I particularly like the style of the C8 but think I’m going to have to wait for a substantial price reduction

Thanks Con , I must admit I am wary of panel problems as my C6 has been so good in that respect, although as I said I’ve never looked for issues, with slides or anything else , maybe it does have some irregularities but if it has I’ve never seen any in normal use
I have seen the 65 B7 at less than £2000 ( richer sounds )
But think after the increased size impact wore off I might regret buying it, there are only a few left left ( in store only ) so if I was unlucky and needed a replacement there may not be any ? It’s harder to make a decision too as my C6 has a terrific picture
I particularly like the style of the C8 but think I’m going to have to wait for a substantial price reduction

Yeah, I hear what your saying. If my screen was as is your C6 and without issue, I would find it hard to let go..kind of how I felt about my 2nd screen. If not for the bend I would think I’d won the panel lottery. Every time I look at mine I kick myself for not getting the 65” (I know it would be overkill in my room) I just love the idea of this tv with that extra screen real estate

also worth mentioning, the issues with the rectangle box (25% window issue) on my other two have so far only been linked to C7 models and C8s are completely free of any such issue. LG already confirmed only a small batch of c7s were affected. I don’t think you would need worry on that front :thumbsup:

After much thought ( and discussions with SWMBO ) it has been decided
A; we don’t need another TV the one we have now is fine
B ; If we did ( in future) get another TV ,65” would be too big
C ; :(

I must admit she’s right really

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom