1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C42PD3000 - Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MulderFbi, Oct 14, 2003.

1. MulderFbi

MulderFbi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a few people have mentioned stock delays I though you may be interested to hear that a couple of weeks ago I ordered a C42PD3000 from Internet TVsDirect.co.uk. They initially accepted the order, telling me that there would be a delay of a month or two. This was no problem as I was happy to wait for what I hope is going to be a cracking plasma. Last week they phoned to say that Hitachi are discontinuing the model, and then proceeded to offer me a substitute! The guy at ITD did confirm that he had spoken to Hitachi directly about this.

I have contacted Hitachi for confirmation, but I have yet to receive a reply. After a bit of time searching the web I did manage to order the plasma at LapTopShops.co.uk and am happy to report that the tv is on its way to me. Was ITD pulling a fast one? I'm not sure, but you may want to confirm that everything is okay with whoever is supplying your tv.

2. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I bloody hope not, ive sold my old telly and put up the wall mount!! :eek:

3. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got my 42PD3000 last Thursday from JL in Southampton so i'm ok.

Nothing i've heard or come across in the last 3 weeks while researching my Hitachi said anything about the model being discontinued.

But with technology things move fast so you never know!

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe, i may be able to get one cheaper now:smashin: (unlikely)

Gary

5. MulderFbi

MulderFbi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I say, they may have been trying to pull a fast one, but they did offer me a £3400 Panny for the same price as the Hitachi as compensation ie. £3k

They do also show it as discontinued on their website. The guy said he had been speaking to hitachi about it and that he was disappointed that he wasn't able to fulfill my order. He sounded genuine enough to prompt me to make a few phone calls to different suppliers on the web, trying to track down someone who had stock. Not an easy task as you know.

6. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. MulderFbi

MulderFbi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary - Anythings posible, but if ITD are making a big mistake like that, then it's good I'm not dealing with them anymore!! ITD have it as discontinued on their website, and did offer me a more expensive model as a replacement (which I declined)....that's all I can tell you. What I did find though while phoning other suppliers, is that many of them can't tell you when stock is going to arrive. That seems very strange to me, but I know nothing about ordering stock!

8. Trinityrsc

Trinityrsc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi 3000 series plasmas have been superseded by the 5000 series launched about a month ago in Japan, using new generation ALIS panels.

There are some notable features in the new models like

Remote controlled swivel
    HDD integrated AVC box
    New dark silver colour
    1100 cd/m2 brightness for the 42"
    DIPP processor

I think the new models will not arrive in UK for at least another 1 - 2 months, as the PD3000 models are being gradually phased out.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...chi.co.jp/tv/wooo5000/characteristic/pdp.html

9. MulderFbi

MulderFbi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Trinityrsc. I don't suppose the 5000 series will have a starting price of £3000, although you never know!

10. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do any web sites have the new screen listed?
    Has anyone heard of the likely price?

I wonder how much better the new screen is?

Questions, questions!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

11. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Just found another site with the new range listed. Looks like there might be a 37" & 50". Model numbers are W32-P5000 etc.

Probably means very little but the converted price for the 32" is about £2500 but for the 42" it is about £4000! :eek:

12. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Arshad
    "I think the panel is just the same as the Japanese model but this model in Hong Kong does not come with a tuner box, the tv tuner is included the panel itself. I don't understand why there is this difference?"

Doesn't the Japenese version have a hard drive included in the tuner box?
    I think thats the answer to your question.

14. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the 5000 has a hard drive and a remote controlled swivel(!!?) then perhaps it's not meant as a replacement for the 3000, but to supplement it, at a higher price point?

Peter

15. b8drf

b8drf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard this from an AV retailer in London, they are no longer taking orders for the 42PD3000 due to stock limitations and are awaiting a new model, this info came directly from an Hitachi rep. I am not sure of the specification but have read threads of the tuner being integrated (which seems like a backward step if you want to wall mount)...

Anyway, even with this (limited) information, I still ordered my 42PD3000 and took delivery last week ... at sub £3000 this is a superb Plasma ... even if it is about to be superceeded...

16. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I think your all missing the point, nothing in life lasts forever especially in the electronics world.
    New models come out all the time, you have to decide to get one when you want 'cos if you always wait for the next model you'll never get one.
    Myself, I just received my Hitachi today, and got to say it is gorgeous, so what if the new model has this that and the other, I've got mine today and I'm bloody happy.

17. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you could have waited a couple more weeks and got the new one at the same price would you have done so?

18. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I dont think the new one will be in John Lewis in a couple of weeks for 3 grand and 5yr warranty.
    But thats the whole point , I made my choice at this time.
    Otherwise it is just the start of another circle!