1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C4 : World Rally

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by gringottsdirect, Jan 26, 2003.

1. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :) Hats off to channel four, excellent coverage. God bless 'em.

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Agreed - and it's on at a reasonable time

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Congratulations to Norway's Petter Solberg, 2003 WRC Champion, Sebastian Loeb, runner-up, but could have been winner except for team orders, can't really blame Citroen though for making sure they won Constructors championship.
    C4 coverage has been great, looking forward to more next year, amazing some want BBC to cover it, remember ten minute slots past midnight , no thanks beeb.
    Well done C4. :clap:

4. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What's going on I see ITV has WRC today.

It looks like I missed the coverage over the last two days. :(

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    You'd have thought that in this day and age the coverage might have been in widescreen :(

Yes, I'd like to see the BBC cover it. There's no reason why it would be on at some ungodly hour if they covered it next year just because it used to be when they last had the rights.

6. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I preferred it when C4 had the rights - at least they showed half an hour highlights each day of the rally, with ITV you only get an hours worth of highlights for the whole rally.
    But at least some of the irritating presenters have gone. :)

7. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This thread's title really needs changing :rolleyes:

I was [expectantly] disappointed in ITV's WRC coverage. As an hour's entertainment for 'family man' it was great, but for the true fans it was very lacking.

An hour for the whole event is not enough anyway, so when you lose a quarter of that for adverts and then have what's left littered with completely unimportant F1-driver interviews and stuff it leaves barely half an hour for the action itself.

I missed the Saturday 'preview' as I totally forgot about it -- I'm not used to WRC on a Saturday afternoon -- but I am told that they didn't even bother to show it anyway? :confused:

And to add to all that, just before one of the ad breaks they show you an incident that will be happening later, when they come back from the ads. I ideally want to see things as they happen, I don't want to know who wins before I watch it, I don't even want to get a hint who is going to crash out before I see the actual stage. :mad:

It's just not good enough. :nono:

8. thamesider

thamesider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've lost interest since Britain lost their two drivers.
    I know we've got a couple of co-drivers, but it ain't quite the same.

9. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I liked C4's presentation and was ok with the presenters too.

I taped yesterday's coverage since I went out and haven't watched it yet.

10. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    ITV are pants but I lost interest with rallying with McRae without a drive, and Burns off ill.

All in all the motorsport on TV currently is not great.

Well done to Colin McRae for completing the Paris Dakar:smashin:

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    GT on 4 was OK, British Superbikes, World Superbikes and Moto GP on BBC OK, NASCAR on C5 OK.
    World Rally on ITV, I hope it gets better, know it will get worse, I don't think rally fans want to see interviews with Jenson Button, Allan McNish, F1, OK so it was Monte Carlo, but watch out for more, Bev and Louise doing cookery tips no doubt.
    ITV Touring Cars and F1 both suffer because they are trying to give them mass appeal, nobody who isn't a petrolhead wants to sit down and watch rallying or GPs, so it's a waste of time adding fashion and " lifestyle " segments, it just irritates the fans who like the sport. :mad:

12. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    About time,but interesting how much coverage the Paris-Dakar got this year.
    A real pity that the WRC has lost McRae due to the introduction of ludicrous new rules governing driver numbers,and as MartinImber and thamesider have said as well,it's taken some of the enjoyment out of watching the WRC.

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When did Jensen Button become an authority on rallying?

Without McRae rallying in the UK looses interest, highlight programmes are useless as by then you know who won.

Until F1 gets another good British driver* I probably won't watch too many GPs.

* Not no hopers like Coultard but good ones like Mansell & Hill.

I know it sounds silly but rallying was so much more exciting with Burns & McRae.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    It was more exciting with Burns & McRae - but I think possibly that McRae is now past his best, if only we had some young British drivers coming through.

15. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I anticipate that this won't be very popular :rolleyes: ... but the only thing I saw McRae and Burns had going for them is British patriotism! In my opinion, they have been disappointing of late, almost like they've lost interest and were giving up anyway.

My current interest is in people like Loeb, Pannizi and Martin, who have demonstrated some fantastic drives, showing true determination and ambition. They want to win! :devil:

I still miss the days of the old Group B cars, though the lack of safety did get rather out of hand until they got a grip on it all.

Oh, and I am stunned by the new Mitsubishi :eek: undisputed winner of the ugly car award!

But, getting back to the TV-related theme, I am convinced that if there's no resurgance of UK drivers then the coverage will just get even worse.

16. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    krg....I also mourn the loss of the Group B cars,but if that's your fancy,did you see the coverage of the British Rallycross Championship on Sky(cant remember which channel!).....seeing Pat Doran's RS200 still on top form against WRC opposition was superb value.

Also a damn sight faster than current WRC cars....

17. ytgti

ytgti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I love this car :smashin: Its uglyness is its beauty!

18. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately not. Would you believe I still don't have a Sky/cable install yet? :eek:

Long story: combination of physical install concerns (for either method), uncertainty of cable/ADSL broadband choice, etc. plus the fact that I already spend far too much time watching TV/DVDs and I'd lose my life entirely if I got Sat TV :rolleyes:

Brings back the memories though. I do remember when the BBC used to show the Rallycross; the days of Martin Schanke and his wild Xtrac motors...

- Kev. (I must get around to doing a sig one day)

19. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Certainly does....but seeing the RS200 with 700bhp now,keeping pace with modified WRC's giving similar power was absolutely superb...also great to watch for real,seeing the amazing traction those cars have...I know they're potentially lethal machines in forest rallies especially,but such a shame they banned them,along with turbo F1 cars.

20. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, we're going way off topic here (!) but it's generally how things have changed nowadays.

As well as Rallying (Group B) and F1 (Turbo era) you've also got... the Touring Cars (Cosworths & M3s).

Speeds may still be going up through the advances of technology, but it's so 'civilised' now, not as raw and exciting as it used to be.

Coming back to rallying, was it really the Group B cars themselves that were the problem? No, it was ultimately down to people management. You have to keep the people safely away from the path of the cars. If there's no run off because you have bodies lining the roadside then you're obviously heading for trouble. And it's starting to happen again; we can pretty much guarantee a cancelled stage or two at many of the events now.

The cars will continue to power on no matter how they're designed and built; the drivers know the risks they take - anyone who saw the in-car footage of Sainz' last crash will know how they can push it too far, the urge to win overcoming the fear (or reality) of the environment. Often they get away with it, sometimes they don't. Some day the result will be worse than just a wrecked car (or broken finger ;) ) and then the next wave of changes will be rushed in.

But that's inevitable, just make sure the spectators aren't allowed to be in silly places and become a part of it.

</rant> :blush:

21. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    .....Jenson Button is good, he did well last year, if Honda can stop his engines grenading he will be mighty this season, especially with 2005 Williams seat a shoe-in.
    Still don't want to see him in rally coverage though. :p

22. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My dad and his work mates upset the Italian Subaru team a few years ago.

He worked/works (retired but does odd days) at a now Skoda was Skoda and Subaru garage and they kept their cars there.

So what did they do?

They left a life size cutout of Colin McRae next to their cars

23. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nissan certainly pulled off a good deal in publicity and overall terms by signing McRae to the Dakar,and the man himself did his reputation no harm either by being not only comfortably the fastest Nissan runner,but also a couple of fastest stages on his first attempt.

24. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's a shame that McRae and Burns are not in it, but at the moment I don't look at the rally competition in terms of country though I'll want the UK drivers to win if they are in it. That said the drivers have to impress me to some extent in relation to those of other countries. Being british alone is not good enough.

ITV coverage was inferior to the C4 one in my opinion. Personally I find F1 to be very boring, so I still don't understand why people can watch it for ages.

On a related note - I was saying to a friend a day or two ago how ITV is the worst channel of the main five. Even Channel 5 which people took the mickey out of for so long, surpasses it now.

25. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,759
    Got to agree about ITV - they are only interested in dumb programmes these days, and they manage to ruin every other thing they touch IMHO. Maybe they will soon be starting a program called "I'm an ex rally driver get me out of here and into a studio where I'll dress up as a pop star and make a fool of myself - before appearing on Emmerdale" - or maybe not ;)

26. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

Congrats JB, 1st podium today, looking forward to wins ! :clap: