1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C4 Autoswitches to W/S - others dont

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Steve J Davies, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have had a panny w/s set for over 3 years and in all that time C4 has always autoswitched the picture into w/s mode without having to use the tv handset. I get tv signal through cable (now NTL). other channels have never done this and I have to faff about with the tv handset.
    dvd player autoswitches fine.
    Is channel 4 in front of everyone else ? Am I the only one this happens to ?

Steve

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital television handles widescreen switching via pin 8 on the scart. (same as your dvd player)

Analogue television has no widescreen switching apart from a few regions where ch4 output line 23 WSS.

Anamorphic widescreen via the digital sources would look better than a PAL+ transmission on analogue Ch4.

It is not so much that Ch4 are ahead, it's just that the others have ignored pal+ in favour of digital broadcasting and anamorphic widescreen

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    My mate uses an S-video din cable from his DVD player to TV and that seems to auto-detect WS material. How ?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although you can get widescreen switching via the s-video connection, it is very rarely used.

Line 23 WSS is possible but again, it is not widely used.

Are you sure that the tv is not in an auto-size (guess) mode? This would almost get it right. Almost so you wouldn't notice.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Could be, i'm not sure. I thinl i'll try the s-video option on my system tonight.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528
    Channel broadcasts, do the same on my TV.

Even if the program is recorded, when i play the material back, it still flicks the TV over to w/s!!

Channel 4, manages to flick the TV to w/s, no matter how its connected up!! Even after its come from my cable box, to video, through the amp, and into a composite connection, in a scart to TV....

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Channel 4 (analogue terrestial) can use Pal+ in some regions. However, if it is putting your tv into wide mode (for anamorphic material) then this is incorrect.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,528
    why??

9. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    My channel 4 (analog terrestial) auto switches to the dreaded 'Zoom' mode.

I didn't think they broadcast anything in anamorphic WS on analog.

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Kevo says, they don't broadcast anything in anamorphic widescreen so if they were to tell your tv to go into 16:9/wide mode, the proportions would be out and the picture would appear stretched.

11. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tested it tonight with Ch4 showing The Krays.

The Pal+ signal put my Toshiba into Cinema mode. This mode is for non-anamorphic widescreen.

If your tv is going into 16:9 mode, then this is a design fault with the tv.

12. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Depending on how the TV is set up for non-anamorphic signals, it could be going into 'smart' mode where the picture is stretched from the sides and slightly cropped at the top and bottom.

IMO, this makes the pic look worse and should never be used.

13. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure about that.

My tv is in 4:3 mode by default and it doesn't have a "auto-guess" mode. I do have a fixed stretch and crop mode on the tv but it didnt put it into that. Most widescreen set have a non-anamorphic widescreen mode

When i went to Ch4, it went to the non-anamorphic widescreen mode. When i left Ch4, it went back into 4:3.

It's certainly line 23 WSS in use. Most widescreen set have a non-anamorphic widescreen mode and that is the mode that should be selected following the instruction from Line 23.

14. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My panny has a handful of modes - the streched at the edges widescreen is called 'JUST' - that isn't the mode that C4 switches into. I get the mode 'WIDESCREEN' as opposed to any of the 'AUTO' modes. I think its true widescreen - same as the one the DVD switches to. when a mode switch happens a box comes up telling me what mode the tv is in so this isn't guesswork on my part.
    I am still confused - the beeb could send the same signal out to some benefit I would thing
    Any C4/TV industry/ employees out there who can shed light on this maybe ?

Steve.

15. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pal+ is not the same as most dvds.

DVDs tend to have the anamorphic widescreen version which should be viewed in the 16:9/wide mode.

Ch4 shows non-anamorphic widescreen and uses pal+ to put the tv into a different zoom mode (at least it should do). If it uses the 16:9/wide mode, the aspect ratio will be incorrect.

BBC has decided to concentrate with anamorphic widescreen on the digital sources rather than non-anamorphic widescreen on the analogue sources.

Anamorphic widescreen is far superior to a zoomed in non-anamoprhic widescreen transmission. I doubt you will ever see anamorphic widescreen on the analogue terrestial before it is turned off.

There really isn't any sense in investing in analogue terrestial at this time.

16. Steve J Davies

Steve J Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.
    Thats my next quandry ! I have cable (NTL) and I haven't a clue where to move to to go digital. After reading through lots of stuff on this forum it seems a motorised dish setup might be the best option...I don't want or need the NTL phone line but they will charge me for it anyway if I go digital with them (and honestly their servie has been pretty poor of late) and Sky seems to have its problems too...
    And as for the costs...
    I may just invest in decent HC kit for films and get a good radio instead - but then we get back to (a subset of) the digital debate though I haven't heard of a date for analogue radio to go off air.
    Ho hum - this is not consumer heaven, thats for sure.

Steve