C31 premap + P35 poweramp = Happy boy

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by rajkat, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rajkat

rajkat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've enjoyed my AVR250 receiver for HT, but it always felt a bit disappointing for stereo music use. The timing felt slow, rendering music slightly muddy, and with complex pieces the sound became a bit incoherent. There just didn't seem to be any punch there.

After much deliberation about the best upgrade route I decided the best option would be to get a decent stereo amp and run it separately from the HT setup, and then look at upgrading to a AVP700 or AVR300 and integrating the two using preouts.

Initially I auditioned the FMJ A32 integrated amp (£1200) and was a little disappointed - the sound was broadly similar to the AVR-250 albeit with a bit more clarity at the top end - it still lacked the drive I was after though. Next up was a C32 Preamp (£1200) and P32 poweramp (£800) - WOW! - the difference was incredible, suddenly there was bucketloads of drive whilst still maintaining the hallmark Arcam smoothness - the top-end opened up even further and felt like it was finally breathing effortlessly. Needless to say I purchased the C31 & P35.

I urge anyone thinking of upgrading an AVR250/300 for better stereo use to try this combo, as I'm usually a huge cynic when it comes to expensive hifi bits.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I have to agree, the new C31 preamp is one special bit of kit. Its very rare these days for such a big improvement to be made on an already great design but they have done it with the C31 and not by a small margin either.

3. albyrne5

albyrne5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Can I ask a question though - what way do you now wire-up your speakers?

Or did you buy 2 new stereo speakers for the CD + C31/P35 amp set-up?

Alan.