1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C30/c31/av8

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Baltika_no_9, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Baltika_no_9

Baltika_no_9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    May well be a stupid question but here goes....

I'm looking to replace my integrated amp (Arcam A85) with a pre/power combination with a view later to move to multi-channel music and movies. Initial thoughts were the C30 or C31 and either a P35 or a pair of P1s. What about however an AV8 with the P35 or P1s as this smoothes the way for later multi-channel stuff. Will I lose anything using the AV8 in stereo mode only for a while over the C30/C31?

OK there's the additional cost which is significant and I'll not be using most of the functionality of the pre but in terms of stereo quality and future positioning?

Your views appreciated.

2. mrkeeling

mrkeeling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing is sure: you can write off C31 because it is not multicannel upgradable. :(

Your choice then is C30 (which is discontinued I believe) and AV8.

If I were you I would go for C30 with multicannel board (if you can still find one) without second thought. I have absolutely no need for digital stuff in AV8 – my player is doing all decoding. But, that’s just me. :D

:beer:

3. Dillon

Dillon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    However the C31 does have a processor mode, so another option (attractive if top quality stereo is a high priority) is to use a separate processor (e.g. the soon to be released AVP700) for home cinema usage, powering your front pair through the c31 / power amp, and the rears direct from the processor to a power amp. In processor mode the C31 would take the volume from the home cinema processor.

If you are a hi-fi fan you get the best of both worlds, albeit at a slight price premium.