1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C30 - Adding a Sub for Stereo playback

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by md6267, Jul 17, 2005.

1. md6267

md6267

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am new to the forum and have only recently become an Arcam owner. I have had a good search around the forum and could find the answer to my question.

I have just purchased a second hand c30 with the intention of building a seperate stereo set up from our home cinema system, which I am very happy with(stereo set up will be for a different room - understanding wife!, as long anything I buy looks like it came out of the 21st century and I hide the cables she's happy).

I plan to use it with stand mount speakers, possibly something like Quad 12L's, but I want to add a sub for a bit more bass extension and weight i.e Quad's L series sub. Can I add an active sub and do this with a C30, do I need to upgrade the C30 it with the 7.1 card?. Arcam's web site is quite vague about the mult channel card its application (for me anyway) With no decoding I am assume the sub will cut off every thing above about 200Hz. The intention of the set up for Stereo only CD playback (iconsidering a second hand CD33). No plans for multi channel audio, will use the DVD 29 for that Does anybody have any views on suitable power amps?

Thanks for any guidance
    Mark
    Switzerland

2. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You'll need some form of power amplification to go with the C30 as it's only a pre-amp. Then if I understand things correctly you should be able to connect your speakers + your sub to the power amp via either the high or low level connection. Then all you need to do is set the cross-over frequency on the sub too what sounds correct. Not too boomy bass and no increase in volume around the cross-over frequency. I have small stand mounted speakers and I am thinking of going down the same road once I have the amplification sorted out.

3. md6267

md6267

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still confused as the C30 is only a stereo pre amp (without multi channel card upgrade). I could only connect a sub at line level using the Audio out connection of the back of the power amp but this could only be on either the L or R channel. the sub would only receive a signal from one stereo channel May be this doesn't matter. A sub is not a Stereo device I know but I would have thought that the sub should receive and reproduce the low frequencies for both the L&R channels. Maybe this is the compromise unless you want to go the full malti channel route with a device that has some form of decoding for stereo+sub like on tee AV8

This where my confusion seems to be.

If I add the multi channel card to the C30, what feeds the 1 in the 7.1. It will not come a stereo only CD player.

Thanks for your response.
    Mark

4. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I see where your coming from and must admit I'd not thought it through either. Reading the book that comes with all Leema speakers they say for their sub... 'additional speaker leads may be connected from the amplifier speaker outputs to the sub high level binding post inputs. Again one cable is usually sufficient as the bass content will normally be the same on both speaker channels'. However, a photo of the back of their sub looks like it may have 2 or 3 pairs of high level inputs as well as a high level out so it would look like you may infact need a length of normal 2 wire speaker cable to make the connection. Perhaps Crustyloafer could help as he has monitor speakers and a sub in his list of equipment and he's normally pretty helpful. An answer to your question would be good as I want to go the same way myself as I have some monitor speakers and my wife doesn't want great big speakers cluttering the place up.

5. barnythebear

barnythebear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another thought try a post on the subwoofer page in the forum!

6. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You do not need the 7.1 card for adding a sub. You will need a stereo power amplifier for the speakers though. Your sub and your power amp input/output jacks, will determine how you connect the sub (ie. use the speaker posts or the rca jacks). Ideally your power amp will be have a rca line out as well, then u could use that to connect to you sub, otherwise, u can always connect the power-amp's speaker out to ur subwoofer, and then connect your speakers to your sub.

7. Palu

Palu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) hi
    I'm using two ARCAM P1's and two subwoofers (Left/Right). The connection is as follows: P1 left: main speaker out 1 and subwoofer 1 biamped with high input by speaker cable. P1 right: same.
    Works great,

Palu

8. md6267

md6267

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks every body for your feedback. It a lot clearer now :)

Mark