C200 - not as good as I thought ?

mmace999

Standard Member
Well I've got my PCH C200, I'm really not sure it's as good as I thought it would be :( Not very good at playing 1080p MKVs, loses connection to drives, can't always connect to is from my laptop, screen drops to 1/4 size when I try and use apps like iPlayer.

Am I missing something or do others have these problems as well ? It's seems it good as long as you only want to play lower spec stuff and not try anything else, that would be shame as I was hoping for more, thats why I got it.

Brilliant service from my-htpc though, can I say that ? lol

Martin

MarkE19

I would say that the problems you are having are either down to a faulty unit or more likely because of the way you have your network setup.
Can you give us a run down of what equipment you have and how it is all connected, ie CAT5 cable, wireless, homeplugs etc and we will try and resolve the issues.

Mark.

mmace999

Standard Member
Am using Cat 5e cable, all plugged into a Belkin 8 port gigabit switch, static IP addresses. My Book World NAS Gigabit 1tb (NFS enabled), Maxtor 1tb USB, What would you say are the vital settings to check for optimum performance ?

MarkE19

I only owned a C-200 briefly so will try to remember some of the settings, but a current owner would be better to state how they have theirs setup.

Disable experamental gigabit LAN - 100mbps LAN is plenty fast enough for 1080p streaming anyway and the hardware is not up to working at gigabit speeds.
Set the C-200 to output to the native (or as close to as you can) resolution of your TV and set the refresh rate to auto match the file being played.
I stream using SMB so can't comment on NFS as I've never needed to try it.
Check all your network cables. A faulty cable can cause all sorts of problems when streaming.
Does the USB HDD have it's own power supply or does it draw power from the C-200? The chances are the C-200 can't pass enough power over USB to a HDD without it's own power supply.

Mark.

mmace999

Standard Member
USB drive has it's own power supply. Problem occurs whether it's using gigabit or not. Gigabit mainly used because of moving around large files. Have just checked and my Panasonic Plasma (being a few years old now) has native resolution of 720 not 1080 so could that be the problem ? I guess there's no point feeding it with 1080 (even thought it will take 1080i) as it will just scale it down.

So the question now I guess is when I update my screen, will that improve playback of 1080p.

mmace999

Standard Member
Now I need to sort of the other little problems. It's can't seem to keep contact with any external drive, USB or network, or it can't offer access to USB drives across network.

Rom

The 200 series (I have a C-200 and an A-210) can and does handle every file I throw at it - including the very highest bit rate MKVs.

For your USB drive (connected to the C-200?) to be seen on the network by other PCs/Devices you need to make sure you have the NMT apps installed (you can do this on the setup page) and enable the NFS service or the SMB/Samba service. Samba if you want a windows PC to see it or NFS usually if it is a Linux based box like a NAS. I have both enabled as my NAS talks to the PCH via NFS but I need samba for windows to see the drive(s).

As to the disconnections - never had this problem. Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed and if you are still having connection problems you will need to detail exactly the setup you have:

What machines
How are they connected
What drives
what are these connected to

etc etc....

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom