C1STB10 Freeview Box - No sound via Sony home cinema system?!

pblucas

Standard Member
Reaction score
C1STB10 Freeview Box - No sound via Sony home cinema system?!

Hi there. I don’t have a television. I watch dvds using a home cinema system and a projector. The current set up is as follows - the audio signal seems to go direct from colour coded connections on the back of the home cinema system to the speakers. The video goes via an HDMA connector between the home cinema system and the projector hdma connection. Everything has worked fine for ages so current set up fine.

I now want to be able to watch TV via my home cinema system and projector i.e. I don’t have/want to buy a TV. So I bought a C1STB10 Freeview Digital TV Receiver.

The freeview unit has 3 connections on the back. SCART OUT, RF IN and RF THROUGH.

I plugged the roof aerial cable into the freeview RF IN connection. I then connected the freeview RF THROUGH connection to the home cinema system RF IN connection. I then connected the freeview SCART OUT directly to the projector.

I powered the system up and tuned all the stations etc fine.

However I can’t get any audio out of the speakers. The video signal comes out of the projector fine so I can see the pictures etc but I have no sound coming out of the home cinema system?! I have tried adjusting the volume via the freeview volume remote and the surround sound volume control but still no sound.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?!
Thanks.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?!
Thanks.

You have no audio from Freeview box to home cinema. As that box does not have phono audio sockets out you need a lead like this and select an AUX input on the home cinema:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-3-phono-plugs-with-in-out-switch-28102

or this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/scart-to-3-phono-adaptor-28831

Ignore the yellow plug. Suggestion only others may be better value.

Really you would be better off with a Freeview box with phono audio out sockets.

Last edited:
Hi Fred. Many thanks. Just to be clear I need to either get a new freeviewbox with audio out connections or fit the adapter you suggested on the back of the freeviewbox scart connection, reconnect the scart cable between it and the projector and then connect the new red and black cables to surround sound AUX connections?!

Peter

Just one suggestion, a £30 Freeview HD box from Tesco (ideally their STBHDIS2010 in store rather than the STBHDH2010 from their site, note you need up update the software on the "IS") would give you plenty of connectivity including HD images and surround sound.

Hi Fred. Many thanks. Just to be clear I need to either get a new freeviewbox with audio out connections or fit the adapter you suggested on the back of the freeviewbox scart connection, reconnect the scart cable between it and the projector and then connect the new red and black cables to surround sound AUX connections?!

Peter

Yep should be OK.

Just one suggestion, a £30 Freeview HD box from Tesco (ideally their STBHDIS2010 in store rather than the STBHDH2010 from their site, note you need up update the software on the "IS") would give you plenty of connectivity including HD images and surround sound.

I was going to suggest this but I have the Vestel version which does not have phono audio out and according to the Tesco website the Harvard version does not either. So does the "IS" version have phono and digital outputs or just one or the other?.

Last edited:
OR you may be able to connect from an 'audio out' RCA-phono connection of the projector (if it has one) back to the amplifier using an audio lead (red/black cable).?

Having bought all the kit and wired things up I think the easiest cheapest solution will be to follow Freds advice and get the £13 scart phone adapter and fit that. Hopefully that will sort out the problem. As I only really want it to watch the F1 and some other sports stuff occasionally then final set up should be better than watching the GP on the laptop but might find an excuse to upgared the system in a year or two if money allows! Big thanks to everyone. pblucas.

I was going to suggest this but I have the Vestel version which does not have phono audio out and according to the Tesco website the Harvard version does not either. So does the "IS" version have phono and digital outputs or just one or the other?.

The IS has four phonos on the back. The yellow/white/red ones are the standard video/audio left/audio right and the orange one is marked SPDIF and shown as "co-axial digital audio" in the handbook. The latest software appears to disable the compressed output option shown in the original handbook which means "PCM data is routed through the Digital Audio output".

Hope that makes sense.

PS >pblucas You will of course have to have a TV licence to watch live TV,

Last edited:
PS >pblucas You will of course have to have a TV licence to watch live TV,
On the PC or via a Freeview box or any other means.

NB Buying a box from any retailer means your address has been passed to TV Licensing (even if you didn't get asked to fill in any forms. {e.g. Tesco grab it off your Clubcard details}

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom