C10, and X10 are not IMO "HD Ready"

brum

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am miffed (to put it mildly) that my new Tx-p42c10b has only 1024 x 720 pixels (as has the X series).

IMO it is NOT HD READY, I expect a 720p television to be 1280x720 pixels.

I am miffed (to put it mildly) that my new Tx-p42c10b has only 1024 x 720 pixels (as has the X series).

IMO it is NOT HD READY, I expect a 720p television to be 1280x720 pixels.

It is classed as HD ready.
Also has to have either an HDMI, DVI or component input to accept the signal.
Plasmas do tend to be this res.

They also tend to look better than most "1366 x 768" LCDs :rotfl: :thumbsup:

And I now find my computers with HDMI (ATI graphics) do NOT support 1024 x 720 - only 1280 x 720

I can see this plasma panel going to the dump (ebay) in a year - its not very good anyway, I am very disappointed.

I have the PX60 plasma with my pc hooked upto it through hdmi. I am using the catalyst drivers and set it to 720p 60hz and find the picture very good. For surfing the net and general windows use it doesnt compare to the clarity of an LCD monitor but for watching mkv and divx films through it I find the picture very good indeed and much better than what a LCD puts out.

I have a 24" nec 1080p monitor to compare it to and for films the plasma clearly wins. have you tried adjusting your picture settings?

Just a quick bit of advice needed reguarding pic settings on a plasma.
I had a lcd for about 3 years but i find now that now i have a plasma the pic settings i used on the lcd dont look as good on my plasma.
lcd settings i had were contrast-85
brightness-50
colour-50
sharpness-20
what settings would you advise for my plasma? i have the pana 37c10

(as has the X series).
Are you sure?:nono:
The X10 is 1024x768:smashin:
The 37" is a lower resolution though; 1024?
Anyway, despite the lower resolution, it is a great TV. I am very happy with it's freeview and SD satellite. Can't comment on HD stuff, but i'm sure it's going to be better.:clap:

Last edited:
There is no opinion here.

HD Ready is a standard, and the X10 and C10 meet the minimum specification requirements for that standard and are therefore HD Ready.

To be very frank, if this was of concern to you, then you should've researched properly when you bought the television. You would also have found that other so-called 720p televisions will generally be 1366x768 (the 42" C/X10 are 1024x768), so if your graphics card doesn't support that you still have the same problem. If you bought online, you're probably best off trying to return under DSR.

If you're looking for a display to hook up to a computer, you're usually best off going for a 1920x1080 model, purely because it's a better supported resolution.

EDIT: you say you have the 42" model. I am sure that some graphics card drivers will allow you to output 1024x768 (use VGA rather than HDMI if need be) with 16:9 pixel shape, which should look spot on.

Last edited:
Are you sure?:nono:
The X10 is 1280x720:smashin:

Nope....you're wrong!
Tx-P42X10b is 1024 x 720 according to Panasonic Website and manuals. (Its the same panel as the C series with addition of an AR filter)

4. Requirements for the label “HD ready”
A display device has to cover the following requirements to be awarded the label “HD ready”:
1. Display, display engine
· The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display
engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.
2. Video Interfaces
· The display device accepts HD input via:
o Analogue YPbPr1, and
o DVI or HDMI
· HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
o 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive (“720p”), and
o 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i”)
· The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP)
I think Panasonic have been creative in interpretation. Perhaps they think that even 500x720 could be "HD Ready"

As for using other computer graphic resolutions, it means the panasonic will scale and you lose
quality. Thats what Home Cinema is supposed to be about.

I know I'm in the wrong forum to knock Panasonic plasmas, but I dont think my next set will be a Panasonic :thumbsdow

Last edited:
It's also worth pointing out that, when HD Ready first came about, most televisions would've been 1024x768. Others 1366x768. That's why they weren't more specific with the resolution. It's not, and has never been, just Panasonic.

1. Display, display engine
· The minimum native resolution of the display (e.g. LCD, PDP) or display
engine (e.g. DLP) is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.
2. Video Interfaces
· The display device accepts HD input via:
o Analogue YPbPr1, and
o DVI or HDMI
· HD capable inputs accept the following HD video formats:
o 1280x720 @ 50 and 60Hz progressive (“720p”), and
o 1920x1080 @ 50 and 60Hz interlaced (“1080i”)
· The DVI or HDMI input supports content protection (HDCP)
Point 1 - the Panasonic plasmas do have a 720 physical line resolution.
Point 2 - the resolutions quoted can be displayed.
As far as I am aware all HD ready plasmas are 1024 x 720 (not just Panasonic). I really can't see why you think they don't meet the standard.

Nope....you're wrong!
Tx-P42X10b is 1024 x 720
according to Panasonic Website and manuals. (Its the same panel as the C series with addition of an AR filter)

I think Panasonic have been creative in interpretation. Perhaps they think that even 500x720 could be "HD Ready"

As for using other computer graphic resolutions, it means the panasonic will scale and you lose
quality. Thats what Home Cinema is supposed to be about.

I know I'm in the wrong forum to knock Panasonic plasmas, but I dont think my next set will be a Panasonic :thumbsdow

If you do indeed have the tv you are referring to, you will see in your manual that the 42" screen resolution is 1024 x 768.

Incidentally, your tv meets every part of the spec you have quoted, so it's hardly that 'Panasonic have been creative in interpretation'

Last edited:
There are a good few thread on here regards pixel matching 37" panasonic plasmas from PC's.

It doesn't accept native over vga or hdmi but you can use something like Powerstrip to get close.

Remember it's a TV not a monitor ;)

The 42inch C10 and X10 have a resolution of 1024x768.

The 37inch versions have a resolution of 1024x720.

I have a 37inch PX70, I set the PC resolution to either 1280x720 or 1360x768 via DVI to HDMI @ 60hz depending on what I'm doing.

For some reason 1360x768 seems to scale better than 1280x720, so better for text, browsing etc, although it seems to suffer from some screen tearing/ripple on BBC Iplayer where as 1280x720 is perfect in this regard.

Also you will need to play with the overscan/underscan options to get an exact fit which is a doddle if using ATI catalyst control center.

Hi all,

I've had my eye on the 37" X10 as my first HDTV purchase. I plan on using it for mainly PS3, some TV and maybe blu-rays, but not as a PC monitor. Do these 1024x720 resolution issues discussed here affect me in any way?

After all, 'widescreen' is 16:9, but I guess this resolution is more like 16:11 or 13:9. So can I expect a widescreen film to get cut off at the edges by this resolution, or scaled down to fit? Or do I have no clue what I'm talking about!?

Cheers for any help!

Hi all,

I've had my eye on the 37" X10 as my first HDTV purchase. I plan on using it for mainly PS3, some TV and maybe blu-rays, but not as a PC monitor. Do these 1024x720 resolution issues discussed here affect me in any way?

After all, 'widescreen' is 16:9, but I guess this resolution is more like 16:11 or 13:9. So can I expect a widescreen film to get cut off at the edges by this resolution, or scaled down to fit? Or do I have no clue what I'm talking about!?

Cheers for any help!

Widescreen in tv terms is the ratio of 16:9 of the width and height of the screen. The X10's have this 16:9 ratio and are therefore widescreen. The shape and size of the pixels is completely seperate (and irrelevant) to this.

Hi all,

Nope

The ratio is 4:3 but the pixels aren't square ;)

Widescreen will be displayed without issue.

Also, welcome to the forums :smashin:

Nope....you're wrong!
Tx-P42X10b is 1024 x 720 according to Panasonic Website and manuals. (Its the same panel as the C series with addition of an AR filter)
Ahem. I typed it wrong. Sorry.
Post edited:hiya:
It's 768!!!!:suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom