C.I.A.2 and EIST and Energy Saving

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
My Gigabyte MB has a set up to allow dynamic changing of the FSB to match CPU load. It also implements Intel's EIST (Enhance Intel SpeedStep Technology).

I overclocked my rig to 3.6GHz (from stock 2.6GHz) and to do that I had to disable the CIA2 and EIST.

No doubt about it the machine flies with games (goodish Grfx card) but as 99% of my day is dealing with emails and browsing, perhaps overclocking was a bit of an overkill. I wondered whether going back to stock and enabling CIA2 and EIST could make a difference and would I notice a change in performance?

So I went back to stock 2.66 and set CIA2 to be Turbo (I think +/- 15% increase in bus), and set all voltages to [auto].

SO now whilst I'm sat reading a web page or emails, my CPU gets ramped right down to about 1.6GHz and consumes minimal power.

When I overclocked the power consumption was never below 65W.

This is Gigabytes Easy Tune program showing the over clock when on a reduced setting.... (note the vCore of just 1.12v)

Interesting thing though is when I ran LinX the CPU ramped up to 3.25GHz..
vCore is just 1.264v

And the power consumption goes over 105W...

When I overclocked to 3.6GHz I had to raise the vCore to 1.4875V. So to get 3.25GHz overclock with a 1.264V vcore is very pleasing!

So, I ran Need For Speed Hot Pursuit and let the CIA2 do its stuff. Well, it only raised its speed to about 3Ghz and the game ran as smoothly as when I had overclocked.

And I now save quite a bit on my electric as well!

If you have similar to Gigabyte's features, why not give it a go. You may be (pleasantly) surprised!

(BTW, my CPU's VID is 1.3125V, so to get 3.25GHz @ 1.264 is sweet!)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom