C&C please - first attempt at selective colouring.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
OK, still not sure how to do this in PSE6, but it is very easy in Capture NX so that will do for me.

As I often find when looking at my pictures, my mind's eye does not have the same unbiased view as the camera, so what appears on the screen may not meet my original expectations. I feel that way a bit about this picture, but at least I now know how to produce this effect.

Please let me have your comments about this shot and any tips about the process in general, thanks.

Click on the image for a larger version.

Paulie-W

Nice idea on the flower heads. I might try to darken the two really bright ones a tad though.

chrisw

The main thing I'd say, is only do it if it adds focus or impact to the shot... which I don't think it does in thi particular shot.

dfrear

Novice Member
Have to agree with chris here, it doesnt really add anything to the shot - the coloured areas are too small to really add any impact. Seems that you've done the actual colouring well though.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Looks like we are all in agreement - I was sure there were a lot more flowers when I took the shot ;)

Thanks for the input.

Regards

John

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
You could always clone some more in........long and laborious but you could.
I think I would sooner plant some seeds and go back next year and try again. ;)

johnaalex

Distinguished Member

Tobers

Mmmm - I quite like it actually. It brings a bit of zap to an otherwise fairly depressing graveyard shot. I can see why you did it - sadness of the graveyard versus new life & colour of the flowers.

One suggestion would be to make more of a feature of the flowers i.e. get in closer to them - maybe slightly blurred in the foreground with the sharp gravestones in the background, or flowers sharp & gravestones blurred. You know the sort of thing.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the tips Tobers.