C 31 gain difference between buffered or direct

John3419

Standard Member
I don't know anything exactly about gain, but i feel like an higher volume with the buffered compared to the direct...

P.S.: i've a C30, i use 1M length RCA cables

mpmct

Standard Member
The C30 manual ( which is what shipped with my C31 ) states
( with a few edits by me for the sake of brevity ) ...

"The recommended connection between the C30 pre-amp and your power amp depends
on both the distance between the two and the type of power amp you are using.

Options:

1. If the cables to be used to connect the C30 with the power amp are less
than 3m long, we recommend connecting the DIRECT sockets to the input
sockets of your power amp.

2. If the cables are longer than 3m, use either the BUFFERED or BALANCED sockets.

The buffered and balanced outputs are designed to drive longer cables
than the direct output. Note that using the buffered outputs to drive the P1
does not degrade the signal and will in no way damage either piece of equipment."

Hope that helps.

zeiter

Standard Member
Thanks guys for reply, actually I do have the C31, and was wondering like first reply if there is some higher output in the buffered out. When I try each, I find it very hard to tell difference, yet there should be some since the buffered is recommended for longer cables.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I was having problems daisychaining two P35's from my C30 and some chap from Arcam said it was fine to connect each P35 direct to the two different outputs on the C30 so I guess the gain is the same for both otherwise things wouldn't sound right surely?

zeiter

Standard Member
I managed to talk to Arcam, and like Timmy mentionned they said I could hook both outputs together, even the third balanced out also, gain is identical on the three. Why is one for longer cables, and yet is same gain, I don't understand, but since I got my answer , I'm OK.

John3419

Standard Member
O.T. for Zeiter:

How did you get an answer from Arcam? By Email? Could be the solution to my problem...
Thank you

O.T. End

P.S.: you can also answer me by PM

zeiter

Standard Member
O.T. for Zeiter:

How did you get an answer from Arcam? By Email? Could be the solution to my problem...
Thank you

O.T. End

P.S.: you can also answer me by PM
I emailed Arcam UK from their web at support, and they forwarded question and answer to my local ( Canadian in my case ) Arcam distributor who contacted me with the answer. If you have a question, ask them and probably they'll respond same way through your dealer.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom