Byzantium

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
First photos of Gemma Arterton on the set of Byzantium.

Directed by Neil Jordan (The Company of Wolves, The Crying Game)

Also stars Saoirse Ronan in a film where a mother and daughter vampire duo form a deadly pact.

byzantiumgemmaartertons.jpg

Would love to point out that this is currently filming in my home town of Hastings!

Apparently we're portraying Northern Ireland which is strange as we are pretty much the furthest you could possibly get from it in Britain lol

My boss saw Saoirse wearing a black wig but none of my mates or I have been lucky to get a glimpse of Miss Arterton :(

First official look at Saoirse Ronan in Byzantium

byzantiumsaoirseronan58.jpg

Thats a very nice image (shame to spoil it with the old from the makers of blah blah)

Am really looking forward to this movie as it's not just another vampire movie in the vain of anne rice so no interview with a sucrient, you could even say its got no teeth ;)

Last edited:
Looks OK, which is about as enthusiastic as I can get about a trailer for a vampire movie. I like Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton. Interview with a Vampire is one of the better vampire movies I've seen, although this looks a lot different.

Interview with a Vampire is one of the better vampire movies I've seen, although this looks a lot different.

Can't agree more. One of my fave movies and one of the best vampire movies made. In my opinion.

Saw this last night and thought it was tedious. It felt very dated and not in a good way, with a clunky, old fashioned flashback structure which stops the film dead every time it goes back and one of those horrible exposition heavy voiceovers which either tells you what you are watching or puts in words what should be conveyed in visuals. A suspenseless horror film without scares and a clumsily conveyed message. The dialogue was terrible, the usually good cast didn't stand a chance and the "action" climax was laughable. This type of Camilla/Countess Bathory inspired vampire film has been done better many times before, most notably in the 70s cult classic Daughters of Darkness, which also takes place in an abandoned hotel, which still feels a lot more edgy and looks far more stylish than this sorry mess does.

Jim Jarmusch has just premiered his vampire film at Cannes, which sounds very similar and will hopefully be a bit more interesting: Only Lovers Left Alive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Oh dear not what I want to read from yourself Todd as I have always like your mini reviews I haven't always agreed but on the whole !! of course I shall see the film for myself at some point but words like horrible exposition, clumsily conveyed, terrible dialogue & climax was laughable don't feel me full of hope for this movie, which I confess I still have a little of.

Re Only Lovers Left Alive another one I am looking forwards to.

This gone from the cinema's already... hmm

we only have our selfs to blame, seems it was not popular

there is always the upcoming blu ray to see gemma's ample charms if nowt else

Its being shown at the Prince Charles Cinema, Leicester Square from the 21st onwards.

Just got around to seeing this and couldn't disagree with Todd Tomorrow more. What a superb movie. Elegant and beautifully structured piece of film-making. Loved every minute of it.

It's available on Showtime until June, so I'm watching for the second time.
Reminds me of Near Dark, which I have on blu-ray & will probably give that a spin later today.

Gemma, can't think of one a Gemma I don't find stunning.
She's the reason I watched the first time, but I enjoyed it so much that it's worth a second viewing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom