1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bypassing a plasmas internal scaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Stonedragon, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay you clever people, I've been advised that an external scaler will only bypass a plasmas internal scaler if the external scalar is set to the native resolution of the plasma. In my case the resolution is 1024*1024 on an ALis panel. So I'm thinking of purchasing the DVDO Iscan HD+ which can operate at the above resolution and therefore bypass the internal scanner on the plasma. Is this correct or is there more for me to consider?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    is it a hitachi?

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Stonedragon

Its not possible to fully 'bypass' the video processing in any display - they all have some influence on the incoming signal; no matter if its Native rate or not into a Progressive display.

Your 1024X1024 Interlaced ALIS display is particularly difficult to get right as there is so much going on inside the display.

A DVDO iScanHD+ is designed (in the main) to Input Interlaced signals and output Progressive signals - though they will also input Interlaced at one resolution and output Interlaced at a higher resolution.

No matter what you do with your ALIS Display the internal processing of the Display is going to be a factor in the image you see on screen - most (if not all) of the current ALIS Display's actually turn Interlaced fields into Progressive Frames > process the Frames > then turn them back to Interlaced Fields again (weird but true).

You'll see many of the Interlaced ALIS Display's include Faroudja DCDI Progressive processing - and you cant switch it off!!!

Best regards

Joe

4. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply Joe.

In your opinion (or anybody else that may care to comment) will I be gaining by using the HD+ or would it turn out to be a big white elephant? The panel I have is a Philips using PP2 etc. Thanks.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello stonedragon

I don't have much experience with 'Tweaking' or 'optimising' your Philips TV.

If you are reasonably clued up with setting up a Video Processor I'd say try and arrange a Home Loan - again assuming you 'know' what your trying to achieve you'll know if you've achieved it or not after a few days 'playing' :)

Otherwise if you cant find a dealer with both items on dem for you to see 'partnered' you may be best to find a dealer who will (for a fee) come to you with an HD+ (or similar) and show you what is and isn't possible.

I say 'similar' as us Lumagen dealers can offer a 'relatively' low cost scheme to potential purchasers - though nothing similar exists with DVDO in the UK as yet.

Best regards

Joe

6. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe,

Can you tell me a little bit more on the low cost scheme you mentioned in your last thread for potential purchasers?

7. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The best way to bypass pp2 ( I Have to say I hate the pp processing on the philips - what is it with them??) is to put an image straight up the vga port so the panel thinks its a pc driving the display and to leave it alone.

Joe is as usual totally correct in that it still may grab everything that appears and process it regardless. Unless you are a dab hand with a soldering iron and want to get your hands dirty ....

I would suggest paying joe to visit with a bribe of cash and beer....:)

8. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers jonny m.

I'm on the case and will update this thread with my results.

9. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Stonedragon
    Will your plasma accept a native vga image @1024x1024? If so have you tried a pc?

10. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jonny m,

I know you're making a point, but I'm new to this game. Care to tell me more?

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    VGA is 640 x 480....he means native 1024 x1024 via the HD15 (VGA/PC)input

Gordon

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I am poretty sure most ALIS sets wont take 1024x1024 without some scaling.... this depends on the ALIS processor but as they are all Hitchi/Fujitsu i doubt a phillips will be able to..... (native is actually 1024x512x2)

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
  14. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :devil:
    .(BANG!)

15. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    jonny m and gordon,

according to Philips the native resolution is 1024*1024

Cheers :)

16. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Hello Stonedragon

If your Display is built around an ALIS(Fujitsu/Hitachi) pixel array you may want to direct Philips to this web page.

Its a 1024x1024 Interlaced array - its working in a different time 'frame' to Progressive array's.

Best regards

Joe

http://edevice.fujitsu.com/fhp/pdp/alis_e.html

17. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    From what I've heard of these panels it's easier to send 1080i than attempt pixel matching. Since 1080i contains 1024 active lines the theory goes that the panel does not need to rescale and doesn't get too involved in otherwise processing the signal. Having steered well clear of ALiS panels I can't say for sure if this is true or not. Have read elsewhere that 1024 x 512 is best, can't see how but sure I read a HCPC was setup this way.

The Lumagen scheme is like a cross between try before you buy and a home demo. For a fee you can have a unit setup onto your screen where you can evaluate for yourself if the improvement is worthwhile to your eyes (it always is to mine!). If so that unit can remain in situ and you've got yourself a brand new scaler! If not you've paid for the privalege, but have had the best kind of demo possible. One in your home, on your own display, setup as it should be. A very, very good service IMO and agreed it is a shame DVDO cannot offer the same.

18. BigGazza

BigGazza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a Fujitsu Alis panel with a native resolution of 1024 x 1024 for almost a year now, and I've been going round and round in circles with this same issue. My setup now consists of a HTPC with a Holo3Dgrapd card feeding the plasma a DVI signal. I've tried various resolutions from 1024 x 1024 to 1024 x 512 (which I couldn't get to work at all) to 1024 x 768, and I honestly don't think any has made that much of a difference. I'm sure that whatever I feed the plasma it is still doing it's own internal processing.

A few people in this thread mentioned using VGA, would that have any benefits over DVI?